Why I Want You to Keep a Résumé of Courage, Not Only Achievements
MOTHER & DAUGHTER
Dear Daughter, I Hope I Can Celebrate Your Failures
Why I Want You to Keep a Résumé of Courage, Not Only Achievements
Today, I watched a YouTube video about Lee So-eun, a Korean singer who later became a lawyer in the United States.
She spoke about the painful failures she experienced while entering and attending law school. She had once been accustomed to doing well academically, but in this unfamiliar world, hard work did not always bring the results she expected.
What surprised me most was not the success that eventually followed.
It was the way her parents responded when she failed.
After one painful result, her mother reportedly sent her a small necklace and a card that celebrated the failure—not because failure itself was pleasant, but because that difficult experience could someday become the foundation for a greater opportunity.
Her father also reminded her that he loved all of her, not only the version of her that performed well.
Those words stopped me.
As a mother, I naturally want to comfort my daughter when she is disappointed. I want to sit beside her, understand her sadness, and tell her that everything will be okay.
But could I go one step further?
Could I genuinely celebrate the courage that brought her to that failure?
What Does It Mean to Celebrate Failure?
Celebrating failure does not mean pretending that disappointment does not hurt.
It does not mean forcing a child to smile when she needs time to grieve. It does not mean immediately turning her pain into a lesson, a motivational speech, or another expectation to improve.
First, I want to sit with her.
I want her to know that she is allowed to feel disappointed, embarrassed, frustrated, or tired. I do not want to rush her through those feelings simply because they make me uncomfortable.
Then, when she is ready, I hope I can help her look again.
“You tried something difficult.”
“You stepped into a place where success was not guaranteed.”
“You learned something that only trying could have taught you.”
“This result is not the whole story of who you are.”
Perhaps that is what celebrating failure can mean.
We do not celebrate the pain. We honor the courage, effort, and growth hidden inside the experience.
Dear Daughter
Someday, you may apply for something and not be chosen.
You may work hard and still receive a disappointing grade. You may prepare carefully for an audition, competition, interview, friendship, opportunity, or dream—and watch it unfold differently from what you hoped.
When that day comes, I hope I will not panic and treat your failure as an emergency.
I hope I will not immediately ask what went wrong, what you should have done differently, or how quickly you can try again.
I hope I will first remember that you are still you.
Your worth has not become smaller.
Your future has not disappeared.
God’s love for you has not changed.
My love for you is not reserved for the days when you succeed.
I hope I can hold your disappointment with tenderness and still say:
“I am proud that you tried.”
And perhaps, when enough time has passed, I would love to give you a small card or gift—not as a reward for losing, but as a reminder that this day also belongs in the story of the woman you are becoming.
A Résumé of Courage
Lee So-eun also spoke about writing a “failure résumé.” Over time, she realized that it was not merely a list of things that had gone wrong. It had become a record of the things she had been brave enough to attempt.
That idea stayed with me.
Most résumés contain only what succeeded:
Awards.
Admissions.
Promotions.
Achievements.
Finished projects.
They rarely show how many times a person risked rejection, changed direction, started again, or entered a room without knowing whether she would belong there.
What if my daughter kept another kind of résumé?
Not a résumé of shame, but a résumé of courage.
She could record:
What I tried
Why it mattered to me
What did not go as planned
What I felt
What I learned
What I would do differently
What this attempt reveals about my courage
What I want to try next—or release peacefully
One day, when she feels as though she has not accomplished enough, she may look back and see how much living, learning, and trying her life has actually contained.
This Is Also for Me
As I thought about creating this journal for my daughter, I realized that I need it too.
How many times have I looked at something that did not work and simply said, “Well, that failed”?
How quickly have I dismissed the courage it took to begin?
I have tried new creative work, built a blog, explored business ideas, learned unfamiliar technology, and started projects without knowing whether anyone would notice or respond.
Not everything has worked.
Some attempts have felt slow, awkward, lonely, or disappointing. It is easy to look only at the results and forget that beginning itself required courage.
Instead of saying, “It did not work,” I want to learn to say:
“I tried this.”
“I created something that did not exist before.”
“I discovered what was harder than I expected.”
“I learned what I would change next time.”
“I was brave enough to begin.”
Perhaps my own failure résumé would not prove that I am unsuccessful.
Perhaps it would show that I have been living, learning, and continuing to grow.
The Kind of Mother I Hope to Become
I cannot promise that I will always respond perfectly when my daughter fails.
I may worry. I may feel disappointed for her. I may be tempted to offer advice too quickly or quietly wonder what I could have done differently.
But I hope I will remember that my first responsibility is not to manage every result.
It is to love the whole person standing before me.
I want my daughter to become a woman who can comfort herself without lying to herself—a woman who can acknowledge what hurt, take responsibility where needed, learn honestly, and still refuse to define herself by one result.
If she someday becomes a mother, I hope she will be able to offer that same secure love to the next generation.
And if she reads this many years from now, I hope she knows:
Dear daughter, I never wanted you to live a life without failure.
I wanted you to live a life with enough courage to try.
When something did not work, I may not always have found the perfect words. But I hope you remember that your failures never reduced your value in my eyes.
Your achievements are part of your story.
But so are the days when you tried, fell short, rested, learned, and began again.
Those days deserve to be remembered too.
One Small Practice
Today, I will begin my own résumé of courage.
I will write down one thing I attempted that did not work as I hoped. Instead of judging it only by its outcome, I will name what it taught me and what it reveals about my willingness to try.
Before teaching my daughter how to honor her failures, I want to practice honoring my own.
A Mother’s Prayer
Heavenly Father,
Thank You for loving us completely, not only when we perform well or succeed.
Help me become a mother who does not place my fear, pride, or expectations upon my daughter’s results. Give me wisdom to sit beside her when she is hurting, patience to let her feel what she feels, and discernment to know when she is ready to look forward again.
Teach me to celebrate her courage without minimizing her disappointment. Help me remind her that failure is an experience, not her identity.
May she grow into a woman who is honest about her mistakes, gentle with herself, responsible for her choices, and brave enough to keep trying when You call her forward.
And Father, teach me to offer that same grace to myself.
May the record of our failures become not a record of shame, but a testimony of courage, growth, grace, and the many ways You continued to lead us.
In Jesus’ name, amen.
—HappyKay Lifegazing
The Story That Inspired This Reflection
I first encountered this story through clips and articles about singer-turned-lawyer Lee So-eun’s appearance on You Quiz on the Block. She shared how her parents responded to failure with secure love and how her “failure résumé” gradually became a record of the things she had attempted.
Watch the tvN/Diggle video on YouTube
Read a Korean article about her failure résumé
Editorial Note
This post reflects my personal response and learning as a mother after hearing Lee So-eun’s publicly shared story. I use AI as a creative tool to help organize my thoughts, refine my English, and assist with some illustrations. I encourage readers to watch the original interview, consider the full context, and reflect on what healthy support through failure may look like in their own families.
Comments
Post a Comment