Why Do We Live Below Our Potential?

 Why Do We Live Below Our Potential?


Five Lessons I Learned from Performance Psychologist Dr. Gio Valiante

Whenever I begin something new, familiar thoughts return.

I want to do well, but I am afraid of failing. I know consistency matters, yet I still wait for inspiration. I worry about what others might think, and sometimes I become anxious about things that have not even happened.

These feelings are familiar to me as I write my blog, create new content, and build a small business.

Recently, I came across a social media post summarizing an interview with performance psychologist Dr. Gio Valiante on The Knowledge Project, hosted by Shane Parrish. Dr. Valiante has worked with professional athletes, entrepreneurs, and investors, helping them perform under pressure and move beyond the limits they place on themselves.

At the heart of the conversation was an important question:

Why do so many of us live below our true potential?

The Korean post I encountered presented five key lessons inspired by the interview. These headings do not appear to be a word-for-word transcript or the official structure of the episode. Rather, they are an editorial summary of its central themes—fear, confidence, habits, focus, and long-term performance.

Here is what those five lessons made me consider about my own life.


What I Learned

1. Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable

If I want to grow, I must learn how to keep moving even when something feels unfamiliar or uncomfortable.

We often believe we will begin once we feel fully prepared. We tell ourselves we will step forward when we have more confidence, speak when we feel certain, and create when we know the result will be good.

But confidence often comes after we begin, not before.

My first blog post may receive very few views. A new Instagram account may begin with only three followers. The first product I make may not look exactly as I imagined.

That does not make the beginning insignificant.

Discomfort is not always a warning that I am on the wrong path. Sometimes it is simply evidence that I am walking along a road I have not traveled before.

2. Excellence Is Built in the Everyday

If I write only on good days and create only when I feel inspired, it will be difficult to build anything lasting.

Excellence is rarely created in one extraordinary moment. It is built through the ordinary act of returning to the work.

Writing one paragraph on a day when the words do not come easily.
Saving one idea when the vision is still unclear.
Finishing one bracelet even when it is not yet perfect.

Those small repetitions eventually become the work—and the life—I am creating.

Sometimes, when I cannot see immediate results, I begin to wonder whether my efforts matter. But even during the seasons when progress remains invisible, my skills, judgment, and direction may still be developing.

Today’s small effort is not only for today. It becomes material that my future self can use.

3. Do Not Let Other People’s Opinions Become Your Ceiling

It is neither possible nor wise to ignore every opinion. Honest advice and thoughtful feedback can help us grow.

However, when I become too concerned about how others see me, their opinions can slowly become a prison.

“What will people think if I post this?”
“Who am I to write about this?”
“What if no one responds?”
“What if I embarrass myself?”

If I follow these questions too far, I can stop before I have created anything at all.

It is impossible to be understood or approved of by everyone. The more important question is not how everyone will see me, but what kind of life I want to build.

Other people’s opinions may offer information, but I do not have to give them the authority to determine the limits of my potential.

4. Do Not Let Past Failures Define Today’s Confidence

The pain of failure often stays with us longer than the joy of success.

A past rejection, a difficult relationship, an abandoned plan, or a piece of content that received little response can quietly influence the choices we make today.

But a past failure is not a final verdict about who I am. It is one record of what happened under a particular set of circumstances.

When I stop trying to erase failure and begin asking what it can teach me, it becomes something different. It no longer has to remain a memory that steals my confidence. It can become information that helps me make a wiser choice next time.

Perhaps I do not need to live like someone who has never failed.

I can live as someone who has failed and still knows how to begin again.

5. Stop Living in the “What If?”

We often travel into the future and imagine the worst possible outcome.

Before anything has happened, we picture the failure, feel the disappointment, and imagine how other people might respond. Then we bring that imagined future into the present and react as if it has already become real.

But I cannot solve every future problem today.

What I can do is choose the next faithful step.

I can select one photograph, write one paragraph, finish one product, or ask one necessary question. I do not have to carry the weight of the entire future. I only need to attend to the small task that belongs to today.

Worry pulls me into an imaginary future. Action brings me back to the present.


What Challenged Me

The second lesson stayed with me the longest:

Excellence is built in the everyday.

When I began creating, I think I expected to see results more quickly. I started writing a blog, creating Instagram content, exploring Amazon Associates, and preparing a small handmade business.

The list of things to do kept growing, while the visible results seemed to move slowly.

At times, I found myself wondering, “Why am I doing all of this?”

But perhaps I was not failing. Perhaps I was simply standing at the beginning, before enough repetition had accumulated for the results to become visible.

Three followers still mean that three people chose to follow my story.

One blog post is still a record that did not exist before I wrote it.

One handmade bracelet is still something real that passed through my hands and heart before it was completed.

Growth does not always look impressive. Sometimes it looks like quietly returning to the same chair and beginning again.


How I Want to Apply It

I want to ask, “What can I complete today?” instead of repeatedly asking, “Will I be good enough?”

I want to protect my small, consistent efforts instead of comparing my pace with someone else’s. Even on days when the response is quiet, I want to continue recording the stories I believe are worth telling.

When discomfort appears, I will not immediately interpret it as a reason to stop.

When I begin imagining everything that might go wrong, I will return to the one thing I can do today.

And when I encounter failure, I want to replace self-criticism with a better question:

“What has this experience taught me about my next choice?”


Reflection

Perhaps confidence is not the complete absence of fear.

Perhaps confidence grows when I collect memories of the times I chose a small action even while fear was present.

I am not a finished person. But I am someone who can keep learning, creating, and beginning again.

Excellence may not mean becoming the greatest person in the room. It may mean refusing to bury the possibilities I have been given simply because I am afraid.


One Small Action

Today, I will choose one small task I have been postponing.

I will not try to complete it perfectly. I will simply give it twenty focused minutes.

Then I will write:

“Today, I did not merely wait for the results. I left one small piece of evidence that I showed up for my life.”

Tata,
HappyKay


Sources

This reflection was inspired by The Knowledge Project interview with performance psychologist Dr. Gio Valiante, hosted by Shane Parrish.

Original episode: The Mindset That Unlocks Your Full Potential | Dr. Gio Valiante

Related conversations with Dr. Valiante:

Discipline and Resilience — Part 1

Failure and Success — Part 2

The five headings explored in this post were adapted from a Korean social media summary of the interview. They should be understood as editorial summaries rather than verified, word-for-word quotations from Dr. Valiante.

Editorial Note

This post is a personal reflection inspired by the referenced interview and a Korean-language summary post. It is not a complete transcript or professional psychological advice. The interpretations, reflections, and personal applications are my own.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runway Inspiration Mary Katrantzou Resort 2027

If AI Does the Beginner’s Work, How Will Our Children Ever Become Experts?

Can Middle and High School Students Take Real College Classes? What I Learned as a Mom.