When I Still Wander, Please Come Find Me

 When I Still Wander, Please Come Find Me

GOOD MORNING WITH GOD | Psalm 119, Eight Verses at a Time #22
TAW ת | Psalm 119:169–176


I expected Psalm 119 to end differently.

After 176 verses about loving God’s Word, seeking His commands, meditating on His truth, waiting for His promises, and choosing His ways, I thought the ending might sound triumphant.

Something like:

“Now I understand.”

Or:

“Now I have become faithful.”

Or:

“Now I know how to walk perfectly.”

But that is not how Psalm 119 ends.

The final verse says:

“I have strayed like a lost sheep.
Seek your servant,
for I have not forgotten your commands.”

— Psalm 119:176

That ending moves me.

After everything the psalmist has said, he still knows something about himself:

I can wander.

The Last Prayer Is Still a Cry for Help

The final stanza begins with prayer:

“May my cry come before you, LORD;
give me understanding according to your word.”

— Psalm 119:169

Even here, at the end, the psalmist is still asking for understanding.

That tells me something important.

There is no graduation from dependence on God.

No point where I can say:

“I know enough now. I can take it from here.”

The more he loves God’s Word, the more aware he seems to become of how much he still needs God.

That is not failure.

That may actually be maturity.

“May My Supplication Come Before You”

Verse 170 continues:

“May my supplication come before you;
deliver me according to your promise.”

Again, he asks to be delivered.

So the final stanza does not sound like the finish line of someone who has mastered life.

It sounds like someone still living in need.

I find that reassuring.

Because sometimes I quietly expect spiritual growth to remove struggle.

If I pray enough, study enough, mature enough, maybe eventually I will stop feeling confused.

Stop wandering.

Stop needing help.

But Psalm 119 does not end there.

It ends in dependence.

Praise Comes Before Perfection

Then verses 171–172 say:

**“May my lips overflow with praise,
for you teach me your decrees.

May my tongue sing of your word,
for all your commands are righteous.”**

I love this.

The psalmist does not wait until he becomes perfect before he praises God.

He praises while still learning.

Still asking.

Still needing deliverance.

Still capable of wandering.

That feels important to me.

Maybe worship is not the celebration of having finally become a flawless person.

Maybe worship is recognizing the goodness of God while I am still being formed.

“May Your Hand Be Ready to Help Me”

Verse 173 says:

“May your hand be ready to help me,
for I have chosen your precepts.”

The image of God’s hand feels so personal.

The psalmist has chosen God’s way.

And still:

Help me.

Choosing the right direction does not mean I suddenly have enough strength to walk it alone.

Sometimes I know what is right and still need courage to do it.

Sometimes I know what God says and still struggle emotionally.

Sometimes I choose obedience and then discover how much help obedience requires.

Maybe one of the healthiest prayers I can keep praying is:

Lord, I have chosen Your way. Now help me walk it.

“I Long for Your Salvation”

Verse 174 says:

“I long for your salvation, LORD,
and your law gives me delight.”

That word long has appeared throughout Psalm 119.

The psalmist has not become emotionally detached.

He still desires.

Still waits.

Still hopes.

Still needs salvation.

That reminds me that spiritual maturity is not independence from God.

It is deeper dependence on Him.

“Let Me Live That I May Praise You”

Verse 175 says:

“Let me live that I may praise you,
and may your laws sustain me.”

This line brings so much of Psalm 119 together.

Life.

Praise.

The sustaining Word.

From early in the psalm, God’s Word has been described as something that gives life, revives, strengthens, guides, comforts, teaches, and preserves.

Now, almost at the end, the psalmist asks again:

Let me live.

He still needs to be sustained.

And Then: The Lost Sheep

Finally:

“I have strayed like a lost sheep.
Seek your servant,
for I have not forgotten your commands.”

This may be one of the most beautiful endings I could imagine.

Because the psalmist does not say:

“I never wander.”

He says:

“I wander. Please come find me.”

That changes the emphasis.

My hope is not ultimately that I will hold onto God perfectly.

My hope is that God is the kind of Shepherd who seeks.

There is humility here.

But there is also trust.

The psalmist knows he belongs to God.

“Seek your servant.”

Even while lost, he still knows whose he is.

Maybe This Is the Ending I Needed

After walking through all 22 sections of Psalm 119, I think I understand the ending differently.

The goal was never to become a person who no longer needs God.

The goal was to become a person who keeps returning to Him.

Who loves His Word.

Who asks for understanding.

Who cries for help.

Who waits.

Who praises.

Who admits wandering.

Who asks to be found.

Maybe the deepest sign of spiritual growth is not:

“I no longer get lost.”

Maybe it is:

“When I get lost, I know who to call.”

A Question to Carry With Me

Do I think spiritual maturity means needing God less—or am I learning to depend on Him more honestly?

One Small Practice

Take one moment today and pray only this:

“Lord, if I have wandered in any way, come find me.”

Do not rush to explain yourself.

Do not make a long list.

Just be still and let that prayer sit before God.

Then ask:

“Where are You calling me back?”

A Small Prayer

Lord,

thank You for staying with me through every part of the journey.

You know the places where I understand and the places where I still do not.

You know where I have obeyed and where I have wandered.

Give me understanding according to Your Word.

Let Your hand be ready to help me.

Sustain me.

Teach me.

Keep praise on my lips even while I am still growing.

And when I wander, do not leave me to myself.

Seek Your servant.

Bring me back to Your truth.

Bring me back to Your presence.

Bring me back to the Shepherd who knows me better than I know myself.

I do not want to finish this journey saying that I have mastered Your Word.

I want to finish saying:

Your Word has kept bringing me back to You.

Amen.


Psalm 119 Series Complete — 22 Stanzas, 176 Verses

From ALEPH א to TAW ת, this has been a slow walk through Psalm 119—one stanza, eight verses, at a time.

And perhaps the final lesson is the simplest:

We are still learning.
Still walking.
Still being corrected.
Still being sustained.
Still being found.

Editorial Note
This post reflects my personal Bible study and faith journey as I slowly read Psalm 119, eight verses at a time. I use AI as a creative tool to help organize my thoughts, refine my English, and assist with some illustrations. It is not a substitute for Scripture or pastoral or theological guidance. I encourage readers to return to the biblical text itself, read the passage in context, and reflect carefully for themselves.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runway Inspiration Mary Katrantzou Resort 2027

If AI Does the Beginner’s Work, How Will Our Children Ever Become Experts?

Can Middle and High School Students Take Real College Classes? What I Learned as a Mom.