When I Don’t Know What to Do, How Can God’s Word Help Me?

 When I Don’t Know What to Do, How Can God’s Word Help Me?

A Reflection on Psalm 119:17–32


There are moments when I do not need a general word of encouragement. I need help with the decision in front of me.

Someone has hurt me, and I do not know whether trust can be rebuilt. I am afraid and unsure which path to take. I am physically hurting and trying to discern whom I can rely on. I pray for guidance, yet I still wonder whether I will recognize it when it comes.

In moments like these, the promise that God’s Word “gives life” can feel both beautiful and difficult to understand. How does Scripture meet a real problem—one that cannot be solved by a simple verse or an immediate answer?

That is the question I bring to Psalm 119, especially the psalmist’s prayer:

“Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.”

“Open My Eyes”

I used to think of this mainly as a prayer for better understanding of the Bible. And it certainly is. But lately, I have begun to hear something more:

Perhaps this is also a prayer for God to help me see my life correctly through His Word.

The psalmist does not sound like someone who has everything figured out. He keeps asking God to teach him, give him understanding, show him His way, and give him life.

That comforts me because I have sometimes assumed that stronger faith should mean greater certainty. Yet Scripture shows people of faith who still ask:

“God, help me see.”

Maybe faith is not always knowing the answer. Sometimes it is knowing where to turn when I do not.

But I Also Need to Ask Why I Am Asking

Sometimes my request for wisdom sounds spiritual, but what lies underneath may be fear, impatience, or a desire to regain control.

I may say, “Lord, give me discernment,” when I am actually afraid.

I may ask, “Show me what to do,” when I really mean, “Make this uncertainty disappear immediately.”

That does not mean I should stop bringing these questions to God. It means I need to bring the heart behind the question as well.

Perhaps Psalm 119:18 is not only:

“Open my eyes so I can understand the situation,”

but also:

“Open my eyes so I can see what is happening inside me.”

Am I seeking wisdom, or demanding certainty? Am I discerning carefully, or being controlled by fear? Am I seeking God’s guidance, or asking Him to approve a decision I have already made?

That is difficult because sometimes I want God to correct the situation before I allow His Word to correct me.

Why Keep Returning to Scripture?

A thought from J. D. Greear’s writing stayed with me: human ideas and cultural convictions can shift quickly, while Christians are called to root their thinking deeply in Scripture rather than simply follow whatever society considers the “right side” of history.

This does not mean refusing to think, listen, learn, or engage with the world. It means our deepest reference point cannot be the loudest opinion of the moment.

Human thinking is easily influenced by fear, desire, experience, social pressure, the need for approval, and the culture around us. Even my own thinking can feel reasonable while moving in the wrong direction.

That is why I need something deeper than myself.

For the Christian, that anchor is Scripture—not because the Bible gives a specific answer to every practical question, but because it teaches me about God’s character, human dignity and brokenness, truth, love, justice, wisdom, humility, forgiveness, self-control, faithfulness, and the person God is shaping me to become.

So the question is not simply:

“What does everyone around me say is right?”

but:

“What does God’s Word teach me to recognize as true, good, wise, and faithful?”

“My Soul Clings to the Dust”

Psalm 119:25 becomes deeply personal:

“My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to your word.”

The image feels almost physical. The psalmist’s soul is on the ground. He is not speaking from strength; he is asking to be revived.

That matters to me because faith can sometimes be presented as constant confidence and victory. Yet here is someone who deeply loves God’s Word and still says:

“My soul is in the dust.”

He is weary and overwhelmed, but he does not hide that from God. He asks:

“Give me life.”

What Does It Mean for the Word to Give Life?

I do not think it always means that my circumstances will immediately change. Sometimes I wish it did.

Perhaps God’s Word begins giving life before the problem is resolved—when fear is no longer the only voice in my mind, when another person’s opinion no longer determines my worth, when I learn that love does not require abandoning wisdom or healthy boundaries, or when I find enough strength to ask for help and take one responsible step.

The situation may remain, but something inside me begins to rise.

I also need God’s Word to revive me from my own sin, unbelief, distorted thinking, and desire for control.

Perhaps “Give me life according to Your Word” also means:

“Lord, do not only change what is happening around me. Change what is happening inside me.”

Revive what fear has shriveled. Correct what pride has distorted. Expose what I have misunderstood. Bring me back when I have begun to wander.

The Word does not simply answer me.

Sometimes it first corrects the person who is asking.

Scripture May Form the Person Before Solving the Problem

I bring God a question:

“What should I do?”

But His Word may first ask me:

Am I telling the truth? Am I acting from fear? Am I trying to control what belongs to God? Am I being fair? Am I protecting my pride? Am I willing to receive counsel, wait, or obey even if the answer is not what I wanted?

At first, that can feel frustrating. I wanted an answer, but God seems to be working on me.

Perhaps that is part of the answer.

Scripture does not always hand me a decision. Sometimes it forms the person who must make the decision. A wiser, humbler, calmer, more truthful person may see the situation differently from the frightened person who first brought the question.

What Can I Say to Someone Who Does Not Believe?

I do not want to say:

“Believe in God and all your problems will be solved.”

That would not describe my own life honestly. I still misunderstand people, make mistakes in judgment, become afraid, struggle with pain, and ask questions with mixed motives.

Faith has not made me immune to being human.

So perhaps my testimony should sound more like this:

“I still struggle. But Scripture gives me somewhere to return when my own thinking becomes confused.”

It comforts me, but it also corrects me. It gives me hope, but it also confronts me. It reminds me that my emotions are real without being perfectly reliable guides.

It teaches me to ask not only:

“How do I get what I want?”

but:

“Who am I becoming while I seek it?”

Most of us eventually discover that our own minds are not perfectly trustworthy. We rationalize, overreact, become afraid, see only part of the story, and confuse desire with wisdom. We need something outside ourselves to challenge us.

For me, that is one of the gifts of Scripture.

Maybe This Is What I Am Learning

Psalm 119:18:

“Open my eyes.”

Psalm 119:25:

“Give me life.”

Those two prayers now belong together for me.

When I do not know what to do:

“Lord, open my eyes.”

Help me see the situation, the other person, and—most importantly—myself truthfully.

Then, when what I see leaves me tired, frightened, convicted, or overwhelmed:

“Give me life according to Your Word.”

I may not receive the entire answer immediately. But God can give me enough truth for the next step: enough wisdom to pause, humility to seek help, courage to act, conviction to repent, restraint not to act impulsively, and hope to keep walking.

Maybe this is how the living Word becomes life in an ordinary human life—not by giving me instant control over my circumstances, but by slowly making me into someone who can walk through them with God.

A Question to Carry With Me

When I ask God for help, am I willing to let His Word guide me, correct me, and show me what to do in the situation I am facing?

A Small Prayer

Lord,

there are times when I do not know what to do. I read Your Word and still become confused. I pray and still wonder whether I understand Your guidance correctly.

Sometimes I call fear “discernment” and impatience “wisdom.” Sometimes I ask for guidance while secretly wanting control.

So I bring not only my questions to You, but also the heart behind them.

Open my eyes.

Help me see what is true, what I am missing, and what is happening inside me. Correct what is distorted in my thinking. Teach me to distinguish fear from wisdom, impulse from obedience, and my desires from what is good before You.

And when my soul feels close to the dust,

give me life according to Your Word.

Revive me not only from difficult circumstances, but from unbelief, pride, fear, and the desire to control what belongs to You.

Do not let me use faith to escape reality. Teach me to face it with truth, wisdom, humility, courage, and hope.

And when I speak about You to someone who does not yet believe, help me not to speak as though I have all the answers. Let my life show something more honest: that I am still being taught, corrected, comforted, and changed by Your Word.

Amen.


Editorial Note

This post reflects my personal Bible study and faith journey. It was also prompted in part by ideas I encountered while reading J. D. Greear and by a devotional reflection on Psalm 119:25. I use AI as a creative tool to help organize my thoughts, refine my English, and assist with some illustrations. I encourage readers to return to the biblical text itself, read Scripture in context, and reflect carefully for themselves.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runway Inspiration Mary Katrantzou Resort 2027

If AI Does the Beginner’s Work, How Will Our Children Ever Become Experts?

Can Middle and High School Students Take Real College Classes? What I Learned as a Mom.