When Hope Feels Tired

 When Hope Feels Tired

GOOD MORNING WITH GOD | Psalm 119, Eight Verses at a Time #11
KAPH כ | Psalm 119:81–88



There is a kind of waiting that does more than test patience.

It makes hope itself feel tired.

Psalm 119:81 begins:

“My soul faints with longing for your salvation,
but I have put my hope in your word.”

And then verse 82 says:

“My eyes fail, looking for your promise;
I say, ‘When will you comfort me?’”

This is not the language of someone waiting calmly.

The psalmist is tired.

His soul is faint.

His eyes are weary from looking.

And still, somehow, hope has not disappeared.

“When Will You Comfort Me?”

I am grateful that Scripture includes prayers like this.

The psalmist does not pretend that waiting feels easy.

He does not say:

I know God’s timing is perfect, so I never struggle.

Instead, he asks:

“When?”

There is something deeply human about that question.

When will this change?

When will I understand?

When will relief come?

When will I stop carrying this?

Sometimes waiting becomes difficult not because I have stopped believing in God, but because I have been believing for a long time and still cannot see the answer.

Maybe faith does not always remove the question:

“How much longer?”

Sometimes faith is bringing that very question to God instead of walking away.

A Wineskin in the Smoke

Verse 83 gives a strange image:

“Though I am like a wineskin in the smoke,
I do not forget your decrees.”

A wineskin hanging in smoke would become dried, darkened, shriveled.

That image feels almost uncomfortable.

The psalmist is saying:

I feel worn out.

Not polished.

Not strong.

Not fresh.

Worn.

And yet:

“I do not forget your decrees.”

I think that may be one of the quietest forms of faithfulness.

Not feeling spiritually strong.

Not experiencing a dramatic breakthrough.

Simply refusing to forget.

Faith Can Be Tired and Still Be Faith

Sometimes I think I have imagined faith as something energetic.

Confident.

Certain.

Full of strength.

But Psalm 119:81–88 gives me another picture.

Faith can be exhausted.

Faith can ask questions.

Faith can feel dried out.

Faith can wait longer than it wanted to.

And still be faith.

The psalmist’s hope is not strong because his emotions are strong.

His hope is attached to something outside himself:

“I have put my hope in your word.”

That matters.

If hope depends entirely on how hopeful I feel, then difficult days can destroy it.

But biblical hope can sometimes exist even when the feeling of hope is very small.

Maybe it sounds like:

I do not understand.

I am tired.

I wish this were over.

But I am still here.

“How Long Must Your Servant Wait?”

Verse 84 asks again:

“How long must your servant wait?”

The psalmist keeps returning to time.

That tells me something.

Long waiting can become its own kind of suffering.

A problem may not be dramatic enough for others to notice.

But carrying the same uncertainty for weeks, months, or years can slowly exhaust the heart.

And perhaps one of the hardest things about waiting is not simply the absence of an answer.

It is the temptation to reinterpret God through the delay.

Maybe He does not see me.

Maybe He has forgotten.

Maybe His promise was not for me.

Maybe nothing is happening.

But this stanza seems to resist that conclusion.

The psalmist says how terrible the waiting feels without turning his pain into a final statement about God’s character.

That is important.

The Difference Between Feeling Forgotten and Being Forgotten

There are moments when I feel forgotten.

But feelings are not always the same as reality.

The psalmist does not hide his sense of abandonment, yet he keeps speaking to God.

That itself tells us something.

He still believes there is Someone listening.

Sometimes prayer in a long season may not sound eloquent.

It may simply be:

“Lord, how long?”

And perhaps even that question is evidence that relationship remains.

“Preserve My Life”

The stanza ends:

“In your unfailing love preserve my life,
that I may obey the statutes of your mouth.”

— Psalm 119:88

I love that the final appeal is to God’s unfailing love.

The psalmist has talked about enemies, delay, suffering, exhaustion, and longing.

But at the end, he returns to God’s love.

Not his own endurance.

Not his ability to remain positive.

Not his perfect faith.

God’s unfailing love.

Maybe that is where tired hope can rest.

I may not have enough emotional strength to carry everything.

But perhaps I was never meant to hold my life together through strength alone.

When Hope Feels Tired

There may be seasons when hope feels bright.

And there may be seasons when hope feels like a very small thread.

Psalm 119:81–88 reminds me not to despise that thread.

A small hope can still be hope.

A tired prayer can still be prayer.

A person asking “How long?” can still be trusting God.

Maybe I do not need to manufacture stronger feelings today.

Maybe I can simply remain.

Remember.

Wait.

Speak honestly.

And ask God to preserve me in His unfailing love.

A Question to Carry With Me

Have I mistaken emotional exhaustion for the absence of faith?

One Small Practice

If you are waiting for something today, do not force yourself to say that you are fine.

Tell God the truth.

“Lord, I am tired.”

“I do not understand.”

“How long?”

Then add one more sentence:

“But I am still placing my hope in Your Word.”

A Small Prayer

Lord,

sometimes waiting makes my soul tired.

There are moments when I keep looking for Your answer and wonder how much longer I can wait.

Thank You that I do not have to pretend before You.

When I feel dried out, discouraged, or forgotten, help me remember that feeling forgotten is not the same as being forgotten.

Keep me from building conclusions about Your character from a season I do not yet understand.

Preserve my life in Your unfailing love.

When my hope feels strong, let me trust You.

And when my hope feels tired, let me trust You still.

Even if all I have today is a small thread of hope, help me keep holding onto Your Word.

Amen.


Next — LAMED ל | Psalm 119:89–96
What remains steady when everything else around me changes?

Editorial Note
This post reflects my personal Bible study and faith journey as I slowly read Psalm 119, eight verses at a time. I use AI as a creative tool to help organize my thoughts, refine my English, and assist with some illustrations. It is not a substitute for Scripture or pastoral or theological guidance. I encourage readers to return to the biblical text itself, read the passage in context, and reflect carefully for themselves.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runway Inspiration Mary Katrantzou Resort 2027

If AI Does the Beginner’s Work, How Will Our Children Ever Become Experts?

Can Middle and High School Students Take Real College Classes? What I Learned as a Mom.