When God’s Word Becomes Something I Love
When God’s Word Becomes Something I Love
GOOD MORNING WITH GOD | Psalm 119, Eight Verses at a Time #13
MEM מ | Psalm 119:97–104
There is a difference between respecting God’s Word and loving it.
I can believe the Bible is important.
I can read it regularly.
I can underline verses, take notes, and study carefully.
But Psalm 119:97 says something more personal:
“Oh, how I love your law!
I meditate on it all day long.”
The psalmist is not only studying Scripture.
He loves it.
And because he loves it, he keeps returning to it.
What Does It Mean to Meditate All Day?
At first, this verse can sound almost impossible.
Does the psalmist literally sit with an open scroll from morning until night?
Probably not.
The word meditate here suggests something more like returning, reflecting, rehearsing, and turning God’s Word over in the mind.
A verse may stay with me while I am driving.
A truth may come back while I am washing dishes.
A command may interrupt me when I am about to speak too quickly.
A promise may return when anxiety begins to rise.
A question from Scripture may follow me into a conversation.
Maybe “meditating all day” does not mean doing nothing except reading.
Maybe it means God’s Word keeps re-entering ordinary life.
The Difference Between Information and Wisdom
The psalmist then says:
“Your commands are always with me
and make me wiser than my enemies.”
— Psalm 119:98
And:
“I have more insight than all my teachers,
for I meditate on your statutes.”
— Psalm 119:99
These verses can sound boastful if we read them quickly.
But I do not think the point is that the psalmist considers himself smarter than everyone else.
The emphasis is on the source of his wisdom.
Your commands.
Your statutes.
The Word gives him perspective.
That is different from simply collecting information.
We live in a time when information is everywhere.
I can search almost anything in seconds.
I can read opinions from hundreds of people.
I can learn facts faster than any generation before me.
And still make an unwise decision.
Knowledge and wisdom are not the same thing.
Wisdom asks:
What is true?
What matters most?
What kind of person will this choice make me?
What is faithful, not merely convenient?
The psalmist believes God’s Word trains him to see life that way.
Sometimes Wisdom Looks Like Restraint
Verse 101 says:
“I have kept my feet from every evil path
so that I might obey your word.”
That verse made me think about another side of wisdom.
Sometimes wisdom is not knowing more.
Sometimes it is knowing what not to do.
Not sending the message immediately.
Not following every impulse.
Not entering every argument.
Not going down a path simply because it is available.
There is a kind of freedom in restraint.
The Word does not only tell me where to go.
Sometimes it teaches me where not to step.
“I Have Not Departed”
Verse 102 says:
“I have not departed from your laws,
for you yourself have taught me.”
I love the second half.
“You yourself have taught me.”
This makes Scripture feel relational.
The psalmist is not simply saying:
I studied a set of rules.
He is saying:
God taught me.
Through His Word, the Teacher is present.
That changes the tone of Bible reading.
It becomes less about mastering a text and more about allowing God to teach me through it.
That requires humility.
Because a student must remain teachable.
Sweeter Than Honey
Then verse 103 becomes almost sensory:
“How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!”
The psalmist does not describe God’s Word as merely useful.
He calls it sweet.
That is beautiful to me.
Because there are seasons when Scripture feels challenging.
It corrects me.
It exposes things I would rather ignore.
It asks me to forgive.
To wait.
To trust.
To surrender.
And yet, over time, perhaps even hard truth can become sweet when I realize it is leading me toward life.
Maybe sweetness does not mean every verse feels pleasant.
Maybe it means:
I have come to trust the One who is speaking.
Love Changes Attention
We naturally think about what we love.
That may be one reason the psalmist meditates on God’s Word all day.
Love keeps bringing his attention back.
That made me ask myself:
What does my mind return to most easily?
Worry?
Plans?
Other people’s opinions?
Things I want?
Things I regret?
What I repeatedly return to eventually shapes me.
So perhaps loving God’s Word is not only an emotional feeling.
It is also a habit of attention.
I keep returning.
Again.
And again.
Until the Word slowly becomes part of the way I think.
What I Want to Learn
I do not want Scripture to remain something I only open during a quiet time and then leave behind when the day begins.
I want it to travel with me.
Into conversations.
Into decisions.
Into disappointment.
Into work.
Into parenting.
Into conflict.
Into waiting.
Into joy.
Maybe that is what I hear in Psalm 119:97:
“I meditate on it all day long.”
The Word is no longer confined to a page.
It has begun entering the life of the person reading it.
A Question to Carry With Me
What does my mind return to most often during the day—and what is that repeated attention shaping in me?
One Small Practice
Choose one verse from Psalm 119:97–104.
Do not try to memorize the entire passage.
Carry one verse.
Write it on a note.
Put it on your phone.
Return to it at breakfast, midday, and before bed.
Then ask:
“How does this verse speak into what I am doing right now?”
Maybe meditation begins that simply.
A Small Prayer
Lord,
teach me not only to read Your Word, but to love it.
Let it stay with me beyond the quiet moments when my Bible is open.
Bring Your truth back to my mind throughout the day.
Give me wisdom that is deeper than information.
Teach me restraint when I need restraint.
Teach me courage when I need courage.
Keep me teachable.
And as I return to Your Word again and again, let me discover why the psalmist could say that Your words are sweeter than honey.
May Your Word slowly become part of the way I think, choose, speak, and live.
Amen.
Next — NUN נ | Psalm 119:105–112
What if God only gives me enough light for the next step?
Editorial Note
This post reflects my personal Bible study and faith journey as I slowly read Psalm 119, eight verses at a time. I use AI as a creative tool to help organize my thoughts, refine my English, and assist with some illustrations. It is not a substitute for Scripture or pastoral or theological guidance. I encourage readers to return to the biblical text itself, read the passage in context, and reflect carefully for themselves.
Comments
Post a Comment