What Remains When Everything Else Changes?
What Remains When Everything Else Changes?
GOOD MORNING WITH GOD | Psalm 119, Eight Verses at a Time #12
LAMED ל | Psalm 119:89–96
Some seasons feel as though everything is moving.
Plans change.
People change.
Relationships change.
Children grow.
Bodies change.
The world changes faster than I can sometimes understand.
Even my own thoughts and emotions can shift from one day to the next.
That is why Psalm 119:89 feels so steady:
“Your word, LORD, is eternal;
it stands firm in the heavens.”
There is something almost architectural about that sentence.
God’s Word stands firm.
Not leaning.
Not drifting.
Not adjusting itself to every new pressure.
Standing.
I Need Something That Does Not Move With Me
I often notice how easily I am influenced by what is happening around me.
If a situation is going well, I feel hopeful.
If something goes wrong, fear can suddenly become louder.
If someone speaks warmly to me, I feel secure.
If someone becomes distant, I may begin questioning myself.
My inner world can move very quickly.
But the psalmist points to something outside himself.
God’s Word remains.
That matters because I do not always need another opinion that changes with the moment.
Sometimes I need an anchor.
Something that remains true even when I feel differently.
“Your Faithfulness Continues Through All Generations”
Verse 90 says:
“Your faithfulness continues through all generations;
you established the earth, and it endures.”
The psalmist moves from God’s Word to God’s faithfulness.
And then from God’s faithfulness to creation itself.
The earth remains because God established it.
Everything exists under His order.
That perspective is humbling.
My life may feel chaotic to me, but God is not confused.
History may feel unpredictable, but God is not surprised.
I may not understand what is happening in my small corner of the world, but the Creator does not lose His place in the story.
What If Stability Is Not the Absence of Change?
Sometimes I think stability means having a life where nothing unexpected happens.
But maybe biblical stability is different.
Maybe it means:
Things can change, and I still know where I stand.
The psalmist does not say that his life is easy.
In fact, verse 92 says:
“If your law had not been my delight,
I would have perished in my affliction.”
So the background is still suffering.
What kept him was not a perfectly stable life.
It was a stable Word.
That distinction feels important.
I may not be able to control change.
But I can keep returning to what does not change.
“I Will Never Forget Your Precepts”
Verse 93 says:
“I will never forget your precepts,
for by them you have preserved my life.”
Again, the Word is connected to life.
Not simply information.
Not simply religious knowledge.
Preservation.
The psalmist has experienced God’s Word as something that kept him from collapsing.
Maybe that is why he speaks with such conviction.
There are truths we only understand differently after we have needed them.
A promise can sound beautiful when life is calm.
The same promise can become a lifeline when life is not.
“I Am Yours”
Then verse 94 says:
“Save me, for I am yours;
I have sought out your precepts.”
I love the simplicity of that.
I am Yours.
In a world where identity can become tangled in achievement, approval, productivity, success, appearance, and belonging, this sentence cuts through the noise.
Before all of those things:
I am Yours.
Maybe there are moments when I do not know exactly what will happen next.
But I can still know who I belong to.
Everything Has a Limit
The stanza ends with an interesting contrast:
“To all perfection I see a limit,
but your commands are boundless.”
— Psalm 119:96
Everything human has limits.
Our knowledge.
Our plans.
Our strength.
Our systems.
Our success.
Even the things we call perfect eventually reveal an edge.
But God’s truth is not confined by the limitations that shape human life.
That gives me perspective.
Maybe I do not need to expect perfect security from things that were never meant to carry that weight.
What Remains?
This passage leaves me with a simple question:
What am I building my life on that can change?
People can change.
Plans can change.
Money can change.
Health can change.
Culture can change.
My own emotions can change.
That does not mean these things are unimportant.
It means they are not eternal.
God’s Word is.
And perhaps peace does not come from making everything around me permanent.
Perhaps it comes from placing my trust in the One who already is.
A Question to Carry With Me
When everything around me feels uncertain, what truth from God’s Word can I stand on without moving?
One Small Practice
Choose one verse from Psalm 119:89–96.
Write it somewhere visible.
Not because one verse will magically remove uncertainty.
But because it can remind you:
Not everything is changing.
God is still faithful.
His Word still stands.
And you still belong to Him.
A Small Prayer
Lord,
so much around me changes.
Sometimes even my own thoughts and emotions feel unstable.
Thank You that Your Word does not move with every circumstance.
Thank You that Your faithfulness continues through every generation.
When I feel uncertain, remind me that You are not confused.
When I feel shaken, help me return to what is firm.
When I forget who I am, remind me:
I am Yours.
Let Your Word become more than something I read.
Let it become the place where I stand.
Amen.
Next — MEM מ | Psalm 119:97–104
What happens when I love God’s Word enough to keep thinking about it all day?
Editorial Note
This post reflects my personal Bible study and faith journey as I slowly read Psalm 119, eight verses at a time. I use AI as a creative tool to help organize my thoughts, refine my English, and assist with some illustrations. It is not a substitute for Scripture or pastoral or theological guidance. I encourage readers to return to the biblical text itself, read the passage in context, and reflect carefully for themselves.
Comments
Post a Comment