What Kind of Peace Cannot Be Easily Shaken?
What Kind of Peace Cannot Be Easily Shaken?
GOOD MORNING WITH GOD | Psalm 119, Eight Verses at a Time #21
SHIN ש | Psalm 119:161–168
There is a kind of peace that depends on circumstances.
Everything is going well.
No one is upset with me.
Nothing unexpected has happened.
The future feels manageable.
And then there is another kind of peace.
The kind Psalm 119 describes.
Not peace because life is easy.
Peace because the heart has somewhere steady to stand.
“Rulers Persecute Me Without Cause”
The stanza begins:
“Rulers persecute me without cause,
but my heart trembles at your word.”
— Psalm 119:161
That contrast caught my attention.
The psalmist is facing pressure from powerful people.
And yet the thing he ultimately reveres is not them.
It is God’s Word.
That does not mean he feels no fear.
It means fear is not the highest authority in his heart.
I find that challenging.
Because pressure from people can feel very powerful.
Approval.
Disapproval.
Criticism.
Misunderstanding.
The possibility of rejection.
All of those things can shape my choices if I am not careful.
But the psalmist is saying:
There is a greater voice I answer to.
Rejoicing Like Someone Who Found Treasure
Verse 162 says:
“I rejoice in your promise
like one who finds great spoil.”
I love that image.
God’s Word is not merely something he tolerates.
He treasures it.
Like finding something valuable.
Something worth keeping.
Something worth celebrating.
That makes me ask:
Do I only turn to Scripture when I need an answer?
Or have I begun to value the Word itself?
There is a difference.
Need can bring me to the Bible.
But love can make me stay.
Love Also Teaches Me What to Reject
Verse 163 says:
“I hate and detest falsehood
but I love your law.”
Again, the psalmist draws a line.
Truth matters.
Falsehood matters.
Love for God’s Word is not vague.
It changes what he accepts and what he refuses.
That is important because peace does not come from pretending everything is equally true.
Sometimes peace requires clarity.
Knowing what I believe.
Knowing what I will not call good.
Knowing what I will not compromise just to feel accepted.
“Seven Times a Day I Praise You”
Verse 164 says:
“Seven times a day I praise you
for your righteous laws.”
Whether taken literally or as a picture of repeated praise, the point is clear:
The psalmist keeps returning to God throughout the day.
That may be one of the hidden foundations of peace.
Peace is not always something I suddenly receive once.
Sometimes it is renewed through repeated return.
Morning.
Midday.
Afternoon.
Evening.
Night.
Again and again:
God is still God.
His Word is still true.
I still belong to Him.
Repeated praise reorders attention.
And what receives my attention eventually shapes my inner world.
“Great Peace Have Those Who Love Your Law”
Then comes the verse that anchors this section:
“Great peace have those who love your law,
and nothing can make them stumble.”
— Psalm 119:165
This is such a strong statement.
But I do not think it means faithful people never struggle, never fall, or never feel shaken.
The psalmist himself has already described suffering, persecution, confusion, and grief throughout Psalm 119.
So “great peace” cannot mean a life untouched by difficulty.
It seems to describe something deeper.
A heart that is not easily uprooted because it is anchored in God’s truth.
Not perfect calm.
Not emotional numbness.
Not the absence of pain.
But a steadiness beneath the pain.
Peace Is Not the Same as Control
This may be where I most need this passage.
I often feel peaceful when I feel in control.
When I know what is happening.
When I know what comes next.
When people behave the way I hope they will.
But that is a fragile kind of peace.
Because control is fragile.
Biblical peace seems to ask something different:
Can I still be grounded when I do not control the outcome?
Can I tell the truth and leave the result with God?
Can I obey and stop trying to manipulate the future?
Can I remain faithful even if I am misunderstood?
Can I trust that God sees what I cannot manage?
That kind of peace is more difficult.
But it is also stronger.
“I Wait for Your Salvation”
Verse 166 says:
“I wait for your salvation, LORD,
and I follow your commands.”
I like how simple this is.
I wait.
And:
I obey.
The psalmist does not treat waiting as passivity.
While he waits for God, he continues to live faithfully.
Maybe that is another part of peace.
I do not have to know how everything will end in order to know how I want to live today.
“All My Ways Are Known to You”
The stanza ends:
“I obey your precepts and your statutes,
for all my ways are known to you.”
— Psalm 119:168
That final phrase feels deeply personal.
All my ways are known to You.
God sees the visible things.
And the hidden things.
My motives.
My fears.
My obedience.
My confusion.
The places where I am trying.
The places where I am still resisting.
That could feel frightening.
But it can also feel comforting.
I do not have to explain my whole heart perfectly to God.
He already knows.
The Peace I Want
I do not think I want a peace that depends entirely on everything going well.
That kind of peace disappears too quickly.
I want the kind Psalm 119 describes.
A peace shaped by truth.
A peace strengthened by repeated praise.
A peace that does not require everyone’s approval.
A peace that keeps waiting and obeying.
A peace that remembers:
My life is fully known by God.
A Question to Carry With Me
Is my peace built mostly on circumstances staying manageable, or on knowing what remains true even when they are not?
One Small Practice
When something unsettles you today, pause before trying to fix it immediately.
Ask:
What is true before God, even if this situation does not change today?
Name one truth.
Stay with it for a moment.
Let that truth become the place where your heart stands.
A Small Prayer
Lord,
I want the kind of peace that is deeper than good circumstances.
When people’s opinions shake me, remind me whose voice matters most.
When fear makes me reach for control, bring me back to Your Word.
Teach me to love what is true, reject what is false, and return to You again and again throughout the day.
While I wait for answers, help me keep walking faithfully.
And when I feel misunderstood or uncertain, remind me that all my ways are already known to You.
Give me great peace—not because everything around me is easy, but because my heart is learning to stand in You.
Amen.
Next — TAW ת | Psalm 119:169–176
Why does Psalm 119 end with a person who still says, “I have wandered like a lost sheep”?
Editorial Note
This post reflects my personal Bible study and faith journey as I slowly read Psalm 119, eight verses at a time. I use AI as a creative tool to help organize my thoughts, refine my English, and assist with some illustrations. It is not a substitute for Scripture or pastoral or theological guidance. I encourage readers to return to the biblical text itself, read the passage in context, and reflect carefully for themselves.
Comments
Post a Comment