What If God Only Gives Me Enough Light for the Next Step?

 What If God Only Gives Me Enough Light for the Next Step?

GOOD MORNING WITH GOD | Psalm 119, Eight Verses at a Time #14
NUN נ | Psalm 119:105–112



I often wish God would show me the whole road.

Not just the next step.

The whole thing.

Where this decision will lead.

How this relationship will turn out.

What will happen next year.

Whether I am making the right choice.

Whether something I am praying for will ever change.

I think I would feel safer if I could see farther ahead.

Then I come to Psalm 119:105:

“Your word is a lamp for my feet,
a light on my path.”

And I notice something important.

A lamp does not usually light an entire journey.

It gives enough light to take the next step.

I Want a Map. God Often Gives a Lamp.

That difference feels very real to me.

I often ask God for certainty.

I want the five-year plan.

The outcome.

The explanation.

The reassurance that I will not make a mistake.

But Scripture often seems to offer something different:

direction without complete visibility.

Maybe God’s Word does not always answer every future question.

But it can show me how to walk today.

Tell the truth.

Do what is just.

Wait before reacting.

Forgive where forgiveness is needed.

Set a boundary where wisdom requires one.

Seek counsel.

Be patient.

Do not return evil for evil.

Trust God with what I cannot control.

Maybe I do not need to see the entire road in order to walk faithfully.

I may only need enough light for the step in front of me.

Light Becomes Most Valuable in the Dark

A lamp is not very impressive in full daylight.

You notice its value when the road becomes dark.

That seems to fit the rest of this stanza.

The psalmist says:

“I have suffered much;
preserve my life, LORD, according to your word.”

— Psalm 119:107

So Psalm 119:105 is not a decorative verse about a peaceful life.

It is spoken by someone who is suffering.

That changes the image for me.

The lamp is not sitting on a beautiful table for decoration.

It is being carried through darkness.

Perhaps that is when Scripture becomes more than something I admire.

It becomes something I need.

The Path Is Still Difficult

Verse 109 says:

“Though I constantly take my life in my hands,
I will not forget your law.”

And verse 110 speaks about traps laid by the wicked.

So the path is not safe simply because God’s Word is present.

There are still dangers.

Still uncertainty.

Still difficulty.

But the psalmist keeps walking.

That is important.

God’s guidance does not necessarily mean there will be no hard road.

It may mean I do not have to walk the hard road without light.

Maybe Guidance Looks More Ordinary Than I Expect

Sometimes I imagine God’s guidance as a dramatic answer.

A sudden sign.

A perfect sense of certainty.

A door opening at exactly the right moment.

And sometimes guidance may feel that clear.

But perhaps much of God’s guidance is quieter.

A Scripture reminding me not to speak in anger.

A conviction that I need to apologize.

A sense that I should slow down before making a decision.

Wise counsel confirming something I have already been seeing.

A boundary becoming clearer.

A desire to act truthfully even when truth costs me something.

The next faithful step may not look dramatic.

But a series of faithful steps can become a path.

“Your Statutes Are My Heritage Forever”

Verse 111 says:

“Your statutes are my heritage forever;
they are the joy of my heart.”

I love the word heritage.

A heritage is something valuable that is handed down.

Something received.

Something kept.

Something that becomes part of what we carry forward.

The psalmist sees God’s Word that way.

Not as a burden placed on him, but as a treasure entrusted to him.

That makes me think about what I am carrying into the future.

What truths do I want to remember?

What kind of wisdom do I want to pass on?

What has God taught me that I do not want to lose?

Maybe the lamp I carry today can someday become light for someone walking behind me.

“My Heart Is Set”

The stanza ends:

“My heart is set on keeping your decrees
to the very end.”

— Psalm 119:112

The psalmist still cannot see everything ahead.

But he has made a decision about direction.

That feels different from certainty.

Certainty says:

I know exactly what will happen.

Faithfulness says:

I know which way I want to keep walking.

Maybe I do not need perfect clarity about the future to make that decision.

I can say:

Lord, I do not know everything ahead of me.
But I want my heart set toward You.

Enough Light for Today

Perhaps this is one of the hardest lessons for someone who likes to know.

I may not receive the whole map.

But I can receive enough light for today.

Enough truth to choose honesty.

Enough wisdom to pause.

Enough courage to set one boundary.

Enough humility to ask for help.

Enough faith to wait one more day.

Enough grace to take one more step.

And then tomorrow, perhaps the lamp will meet me there too.

A Question to Carry With Me

Am I refusing to move because I cannot see the whole road, when God may already be giving me enough light for the next faithful step?

One Small Practice

Think about one situation where you want complete clarity.

Then ask a smaller question:

“What is the next faithful thing I already know to do?”

Not the whole solution.

Just the next step.

Write it down.

Then ask God for the courage to take it.

A Small Prayer

Lord,

I often want You to show me the whole road.

I want certainty about what will happen and reassurance that I will not make the wrong choice.

But Your Word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path.

Teach me to trust the light You give.

When the road feels dark, keep me close to Your Word.

When I cannot see far ahead, help me not to confuse uncertainty with abandonment.

Give me wisdom for the next step.

Courage for the next step.

Obedience for the next step.

And keep my heart set toward You even when I do not know where the road will lead.

Amen.


Next — SAMEKH ס | Psalm 119:113–120
What happens when my heart is divided between trusting God and fearing everything else?

Editorial Note
This post reflects my personal Bible study and faith journey as I slowly read Psalm 119, eight verses at a time. I use AI as a creative tool to help organize my thoughts, refine my English, and assist with some illustrations. It is not a substitute for Scripture or pastoral or theological guidance. I encourage readers to return to the biblical text itself, read the passage in context, and reflect carefully for themselves.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runway Inspiration Mary Katrantzou Resort 2027

If AI Does the Beginner’s Work, How Will Our Children Ever Become Experts?

Can Middle and High School Students Take Real College Classes? What I Learned as a Mom.