What Happens When My Heart Is Divided?

 What Happens When My Heart Is Divided?

GOOD MORNING WITH GOD | Psalm 119, Eight Verses at a Time #15
SAMEKH ס | Psalm 119:113–120



Sometimes the hardest conflict is not the one around me.

It is the one inside me.

Part of me wants to trust God.

Part of me still wants control.

Part of me wants to obey.

Part of me wants the easier way.

Part of me wants peace.

Part of me keeps returning to fear.

That is why Psalm 119:113–120 feels so honest.

The psalmist begins with a strong sentence:

“I hate double-minded people,
but I love your law.”

— Psalm 119:113

At first, that language can sound harsh.

But the more I sit with it, the more I think the deeper issue here is not hatred of other people.

It is a rejection of a divided heart.

A life split in two directions.

A mind that keeps wavering between trust and unbelief, obedience and self-will, truth and compromise.

A Divided Heart Is a Tiring Place to Live

There is something exhausting about inner division.

When my heart is divided, I keep negotiating with myself.

I know what is right, but I delay it.

I sense what is wise, but I still want what is easier.

I pray for guidance, but I also want permission to keep control.

That kind of inner instability wears the soul down.

Maybe that is why the psalmist speaks so clearly.

He does not want to live in that split place.

He wants to belong wholly to God.

Not perfectly.

But sincerely.

“You Are My Refuge and My Shield”

Then verse 114 gives one of the most beautiful lines in this section:

“You are my refuge and my shield;
I have put my hope in your word.”

I love the order of that verse.

First:

You are my refuge.

Then:

I have put my hope in your word.

A refuge is where I run when I feel exposed.

A shield is what protects me when I feel vulnerable.

And that made me pause.

When my heart feels divided, where do I actually run?

To distraction?

To overthinking?

To people’s opinions?

To self-protection?

To control?

The psalmist runs to God.

Not merely to relief.

Not merely to answers.

To God Himself.

Sometimes Separation Is Necessary

Verse 115 says:

“Away from me, you evildoers,
that I may keep the commands of my God!”

This is strong language too.

But I think the principle is clear.

There are times when obedience requires distance from what pulls me away from it.

Not everything can stay close to me if I want to walk faithfully.

Some influences confuse me.

Some voices weaken my resolve.

Some habits quietly make obedience harder.

Sometimes the most spiritual thing I can do is not add something new, but remove what is making faithfulness more difficult.

“Sustain Me”

Then the psalmist says:

“Sustain me, my God, according to your promise, and I will live;
do not let my hopes be dashed.”

— Psalm 119:116

That word sustain matters.

It reminds me that wholehearted faith is not produced by willpower alone.

I need God to hold me up.

I need God to steady what keeps shaking.

I need God to keep me from collapsing under the weight of my own fear, weakness, and inconsistency.

And I love how honest the psalmist is:

“Do not let my hopes be dashed.”

He is not pretending to be above disappointment.

He is bringing his vulnerability directly to God.

God Does Not Treat Wandering Lightly

Then verses 118–119 bring another sobering note.

The psalmist speaks of God rejecting those who stray from His decrees.

This reminds me that wandering is not a small thing.

Truth matters.

Faithfulness matters.

The direction of a life matters.

This section does not let me turn God into a soft, harmless idea who never confronts anything.

He is merciful, yes.

But He is also holy.

And His holiness means my choices are not insignificant.

“My Flesh Trembles for Fear of You”

The stanza ends like this:

“My flesh trembles in fear of you;
I stand in awe of your laws.”

— Psalm 119:120

That verse gives this whole section a different kind of ending.

The answer to a divided heart is not simply “try harder.”

It is also holy fear.

Not terror in the sense of hiding from a cruel God.

But reverence.

A deep awareness that God is not small.

His Word is not casual.

His truth is not something I reshape around my moods.

Maybe a divided heart begins to heal when I remember both things at once:

God is my refuge.
And
God is holy.

He is near enough to shelter me.

And great enough to be feared.

What This Passage Is Asking Me

This section leaves me with a searching question:

What is dividing my heart right now?

Is it fear?

Control?

Compromise?

The desire to be accepted?

The wish to obey God without giving up what I still want?

A divided heart may not always look dramatic from the outside.

But God sees it.

And perhaps one of the kindest things He does is bring it into the light.

Not to shame me.

But to lead me back to wholeness.

Wholehearted, Not Halfway

I do not think this passage is calling me to pretend I never struggle.

The psalmist himself prays for help, sustaining grace, and protection.

So this is not a celebration of human strength.

It is a call to sincerity.

To stop living halfway.

To stop blessing what God is asking me to surrender.

To stop calling compromise wisdom.

To stop dividing loyalties that were meant to belong to God.

And perhaps the beginning of wholeness is this:

Lord, here is my divided heart.
Be my refuge, my shield, and the One who makes me steadfast again.

A Question to Carry With Me

What has been dividing my heart lately—and where do I usually run when I feel spiritually unsettled?

One Small Practice

Take a quiet moment and ask:

What is pulling my heart in two directions right now?

Name it honestly.

Then pray Psalm 119:114 slowly:

“You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.”

Repeat it until it becomes more than a sentence—until it becomes a place to stand.

A Small Prayer

Lord,

You know how easily my heart becomes divided.

I want to trust You, and yet I still cling to fear.
I want to obey You, and yet I still want control.
I want peace, and yet I return to anxious thoughts.

Be my refuge and my shield.

Sustain me according to Your promise.

Do not let my hopes be shaped more by my fears than by Your Word.

Show me what is pulling my heart away from wholehearted obedience.

Give me courage to step away from what weakens faithfulness, and teach me to live before You with sincerity, reverence, and trust.

Let my heart not remain split in two.

Make it increasingly whole before You.

Amen.


Next — AYIN ע | Psalm 119:121–128
What do I do when I want justice, but I also need God to teach me how to wait for it?

Editorial Note
This post reflects my personal Bible study and faith journey as I slowly read Psalm 119, eight verses at a time. I use AI as a creative tool to help organize my thoughts, refine my English, and assist with some illustrations. It is not a substitute for Scripture or pastoral or theological guidance. I encourage readers to return to the biblical text itself, read the passage in context, and reflect carefully for themselves.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runway Inspiration Mary Katrantzou Resort 2027

If AI Does the Beginner’s Work, How Will Our Children Ever Become Experts?

Can Middle and High School Students Take Real College Classes? What I Learned as a Mom.