Learning to Tell the Truth More Gently.
Learning to Tell the Truth More Gently
Today’s Life-Gazing note on anger, honesty, and the temperature of our words
There are days when a small disagreement inside a family becomes much heavier than the moment that started it.
Both people may care deeply. Both may believe they are doing what is best. Yet frustration can rise so quickly that the real concern gets lost beneath the tone of the conversation.
Recently, I came across an Instagram post inspired by Korean cognitive psychologist Professor Kim Kyung-il. It described mature communication as neither hiding everything we feel nor saying every thought exactly as it first enters our minds.
Instead, it suggested something more difficult: expressing our thoughts honestly in a way the other person can actually receive.
That idea stayed with me.
Honesty Is Not the Same as Saying Everything
When I am angry, silence can feel dishonest. I do not want to pretend that everything is fine when something important is bothering me.
But saying everything in the heat of the moment does not always lead to understanding either. A true concern can be delivered with so much anger that the other person hears only the attack and misses what I was trying to say.
Perhaps maturity is not choosing between silence and an emotional outburst.
Perhaps it is learning how to say:
“This matters to me.”
“This is what hurt me.”
“This is what I need.”
And then saying it without making the other person feel small.
The truth does not have to disappear in order for my words to become gentler. I can remain honest while taking some of the sharpness out of my delivery.
What Is My Anger Trying to Protect?
Anger is often louder than the feeling underneath it.
Sometimes it is protecting exhaustion. Sometimes disappointment. Sometimes it rises because I feel unheard, unsupported, or dismissed.
For mothers, even a small disagreement can touch something much deeper. We carry many invisible responsibilities—schedules, school, routines, discipline, emotional care, and the long view of who our children are becoming.
When someone responds differently, it can feel as though all that care and effort has been overlooked.
That does not mean every angry response is justified. But instead of simply feeling ashamed of my anger, I can become curious about it.
Before returning to a difficult conversation, I want to ask:
- What am I actually feeling beneath the anger?
- What important value or need am I trying to protect?
- What specific change am I hoping for?
These questions help turn a reaction into a request.
Instead of saying:
“You never support me.”
I might say:
“When we respond differently in front of our child, I feel alone and undermined. I know we both want what is best. Could we talk privately and agree on how we want to handle it next time?”
The concern has not disappeared. But now it has a better chance of being heard.
Pausing Is Not the Same as Avoiding
Sometimes the wisest first sentence is:
“This matters to me, and I want to talk about it. But I am too upset to speak well right now. Can we come back to it after I have had time to settle?”
A walk, exercise, prayer, rest, or a little quiet may not solve the disagreement. But it can create enough space for wisdom to return.
Taking time to calm down is not necessarily running away. It can be a way of protecting the conversation from words we may later regret.
Communication is a skill, and skills require practice. Some days I may speak too sharply. Other days I may stay quiet for too long. I will not find the right balance perfectly from the beginning.
But I can notice. I can repair. And I can try again.
This is the sentence I want to write in my Life-Gazing notebook today:
Say the truth clearly. Carry it gently. Make the request specifically.
Perhaps a gracious person is not someone who never feels anger. Perhaps it is someone who learns to listen to what anger is revealing without allowing it to decide how another person will be treated.
I am writing this lesson down for myself—and sharing it in case another mother needs it too.
Closing Prayer
God, help me understand what lies beneath my anger.
Give me the courage to speak honestly, the humility to listen carefully, and the wisdom to choose words that do not wound.
Teach me to be clear without becoming cruel and gentle without losing my voice. When I get it wrong, help me return, repair, and try again.
Let my words protect both truth and love.
Amen.
Source & Editorial Note
This reflection was prompted by an Instagram carousel from @knowledgeins_kr, inspired by a conversation with cognitive psychologist Professor Kim Kyung-il.
The carousel appears to summarize and interpret ideas from the referenced video rather than provide a word-for-word transcript. For that reason, its wording has not been presented here as a direct quotation from Professor Kim.
Referenced episode:
Knowledge Inside — Knowledge Class EP.22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNt3wTYurgA
AI was used as an editorial partner to organize this reflection, verify the source attribution, and polish the English. The reflection and point of view remain the author’s own.
Comments
Post a Comment