At Life’s Crossroads, Whom Do I Ask?
GOOD MORNING WITH GOD
At Life’s Crossroads, Whom Do I Ask?
Scripture: 1 Chronicles 10:13–14; 1 Samuel 28; 1 Samuel 31
Saul’s fall did not begin on the battlefield.
It had been forming quietly through years of repeated disobedience, incomplete repentance, fear of people, and a heart that gradually stopped returning to God.
First Chronicles summarizes Saul’s life with sobering clarity: he was unfaithful to the Lord, did not faithfully seek His guidance, and eventually turned to a medium for an answer.
There is an important detail here. First Samuel 28 tells us that Saul did inquire of the Lord, but the Lord did not answer him. Yet instead of humbling himself, repenting, and waiting, Saul sought a forbidden spiritual source. He wanted an immediate answer more than he wanted to return to God.
That is where today’s passage comes close to my own heart.
When I am afraid, uncertain, or desperate for direction, where do I go first?
Do I pray and wait?
Do I return to what God has already made clear?
Or do I rush from person to person, searching for the answer that will make me feel safe?
Fear itself is not the greatest danger. Fear becomes dangerous when it sends us anywhere but toward God.
WHEN GOD SEEMS SILENT
God’s silence is not permission to abandon His ways.
Waiting can feel uncomfortable because it reminds me that I am not in control. I may want a quick sign, an immediate solution, or someone to tell me exactly what will happen. But faith does not always receive a complete map. Sometimes God gives enough light only for the next faithful step.
In those moments, I can still pray.
I can still return.
I can still obey what God has already shown me.
I can still trust His character when I cannot yet understand His direction.
The most important question at a crossroads may not be, “What can I control?”
It may be:
“Lord, what would You have me do?”
GRACE AFTER THE TRAGEDY
Saul was severely wounded in battle and died by falling on his own sword. His sons, including Jonathan, also died that day.
The Philistines displayed their bodies on the wall of Beth-shan, but the brave men of Jabesh-gilead traveled through the night, recovered them, and gave them an honorable burial.
David was not the one who retrieved their bodies. When he heard what had happened, however, he wept, fasted, and wrote a lament for Saul and Jonathan. Later, he blessed the men of Jabesh-gilead for the kindness and faithfulness they had shown.
Even at the end of such a painful story, we can see quiet signs of mercy: courageous men refused to leave the bodies in disgrace, and David refused to celebrate the death of the king who had persecuted him.
Judgment did not erase dignity. Pain did not have to produce revenge.
And Jonathan—David’s beloved friend—was not forgotten. David later remembered his covenant with Jonathan by caring for Jonathan’s son, Mephibosheth.
A QUESTION FOR MY HEART
Saul’s story makes me ask:
When fear presses against my heart, do I reach for control—or do I reach for God?
Seeking God is more than asking Him to approve a decision I have already made. It is the humble practice of pausing, listening, returning, and becoming willing to obey.
ONE SMALL PRACTICE
Before making a decision today, pause for one quiet minute and pray:
“Lord, search my heart. Quiet my fear. Lead me in Your truth.”
Then ask:
What has God already made clear through His Word?
You may not receive the entire answer today. Take the next faithful step you can see.
TODAY’S PRAYER
Lord, keep me from allowing fear to choose my direction.
When You seem silent, teach me not to run ahead or search for an easier answer outside Your ways. Give me a heart that returns to You, waits for You, and obeys what You have already shown me.
At every crossroads, remind me to ask You first.
Lead me in Your truth and help me take the next faithful step.
Amen.
Reflection Question
When I feel uncertain or afraid, where do I usually look first for an answer?
One Small Practice
Before seeking another opinion today, pause and bring the question honestly to God.
Tata,
HappyKay
EDITORIAL NOTE
This reflection is based on 1 Chronicles 10, 1 Samuel 28, 1 Samuel 31, and 2 Samuel 1–2. Scripture presents Saul’s death as the tragic conclusion of persistent unfaithfulness, while also showing courage, dignity, covenant love, and mercy through the people who responded afterward.
Comments
Post a Comment