A Quiet New Hobby: Learning the Art of Sashiko Stitching
A Quiet New Hobby: Learning the Art of Sashiko Stitching
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Today, I discovered something quietly beautiful: sashiko stitching.
Sashiko is a traditional Japanese hand-stitching technique created with simple running stitches. The word sashiko is often translated as “little stabs,” describing the small, repeated movements of the needle passing through the fabric.
Originally, these stitches served a practical purpose. They were used to reinforce worn fabric, repair clothing, and help everyday textiles last longer. Over time, those humble stitches developed into beautiful geometric patterns, often sewn with white cotton thread against deep indigo fabric.
What caught my attention was not only how beautiful it looked, but also how peaceful the process seemed.
There was no complicated machine and no need to work quickly—just a piece of cloth, a needle, some thread, and two hands moving slowly in a gentle rhythm.
Needle in.
Needle out.
One small stitch at a time.
It looked almost like a form of mindfulness: something I could do while sitting quietly, allowing my hands to stay busy while my thoughts settled down.
I have never tried sashiko before, so this is not a product review or a finished-project story. It is simply the beginning of my curiosity.
Instead of starting with a piece of clothing, I think I would like to begin with a small piece of solid cotton fabric, almost as if I were making a tiny quilt. I could draw a simple grid or diamond pattern and practice the running stitch without worrying about making something perfect.
Perhaps that is part of what makes sashiko so appealing.
The stitches do not have to look machine-made. The slight differences between them quietly show that a human hand was there. Every line records a few minutes of someone’s time, attention, and care.
Two Ways I Could Begin
As I searched for supplies, I realized that I have two possible ways to begin.
I could purchase the basic materials separately and create my own design on plain cotton fabric. Or I could choose a complete beginner kit with a pattern already printed on the cloth.
The kit would be the easier first step, while the individual supplies would give me more freedom to experiment later.
Option One: Creating My Own Sashiko Sampler
- Sashiko Needles and Thread
Sashiko needles are generally longer and sturdier than many ordinary embroidery needles. Their length makes it possible to gather several running stitches onto the needle before pulling the thread through.
I found a set that conveniently includes both sashiko needles and thread, so I would not have to purchase these two basic supplies separately.
Amazon: Sashiko Needle and Thread Set
- Solid Cotton Fabric
For practicing my own sashiko patterns, I found a solid-color, medium-weight fabric made from 100% cotton.
The fabric is 44 inches wide and comes in a generous three-yard length, so there should be plenty for small samplers, tea mats, coasters, and future sewing projects.
Before beginning, I would wash and press a small piece of the fabric to allow for any possible shrinkage. Then I could cut a manageable square and use a ruler and fabric-marking pen to create a simple grid or diamond pattern.
Amazon: Craftido 100% Cotton Fabric
- Heat-Erasable Fabric-Marking Pens
Before stitching on plain fabric, I will need a way to draw straight lines and simple geometric patterns.
I found a set of heat-erasable fabric-marking pens that includes four pen colors and eight refills. The white pen should be especially helpful for drawing visible guidelines on navy or indigo fabric.
Because different fabrics may react differently to heat and marking ink, I would test the pen on a small fabric scrap before drawing an entire pattern.
Amazon: Lange & König Heat-Erasable Fabric-Marking Pens
- A Clear Ruler
A clear ruler would be useful when I am ready to create my own design on plain fabric.
Because I can see the cloth beneath it, it should make it easier to measure and draw straight grids, squares, and diamond patterns. I may not need a ruler for my first pre-printed project, but it could become helpful when I begin designing my own patterns.
Amazon: Clear Ruler for Measuring and Pattern Marking
- Finger-Protecting Thimbles
A thimble can help protect my finger and make it easier to push the needle through the fabric.
This set contains four faux-leather finger protectors in two sizes. Each one has a small metal disc intended to help guide and push the needle during hand sewing, quilting, and other needlework.
I may not need a separate thimble if I begin with the complete starter kit below, but it could be useful for future projects.
Amazon: WILLBOND Thimble Finger Protectors
Option Two: Beginning with a Complete Sashiko Kit
Although I originally imagined beginning with plain fabric, I also found a complete sashiko starter kit that may make my first attempt much easier.
The set includes three 12-by-12-inch navy cotton cloths printed with traditional Japanese patterns, white sashiko thread, four DARUMA sashiko needles in different sizes, three types of thimbles, and an English instruction manual.
Instead of drawing my own pattern, I could simply follow the printed lines. According to the product description, the markings wash away with water after the stitching is complete.
Because this kit already includes fabric, thread, needles, and thimbles, I would not need to purchase all the individual supplies for my first project.
Amazon: Complete Japanese Sashiko Starter Kit
Where I Think I Will Begin
For my very first attempt, the complete starter kit may be the simplest choice. The printed fabric would allow me to concentrate on learning the rhythm of the running stitch instead of worrying about measuring and drawing a perfect design.
If I enjoy the process, I could then use the separate cotton fabric, ruler, and marking pens to create my own sampler.
My first handmade piece might eventually become a coaster, a tea mat, a small wall hanging, or simply a square of fabric filled with imperfect stitches.
It does not need to become anything useful right away.
Maybe its first purpose is simply to invite me to sit down, put away my phone for a little while, and make one small stitch after another.
In a life that often feels hurried, perhaps creating something slowly is not wasted time.
Perhaps it is another way of learning how to pay attention.
Editorial Note
I have not purchased or used these sashiko products yet. This post documents what I am currently researching and considering for my first sashiko project. The product descriptions are based on the information provided in the Amazon listings.
If I decide to begin, I will return with my own photographs and share what the experience was really like—including what worked, what felt difficult, and whether sashiko became the peaceful new hobby I hoped it might be.
Comments
Post a Comment