A Good Day with God: When Leadership Honors the Sacrifice of Others
A Good Day with God: When Leadership Honors the Sacrifice of Others
Today’s Scripture: 1 Chronicles 11:10–19
M’Cheyne Bible Reading: 2 Samuel 14 · 2 Corinthians 7 · Ezekiel 21 · Psalm 68
Morning has already passed, but it is never too late to pause and spend a meaningful part of the day with God.
Today, I found myself thinking about David—not only as a king but also as a leader surrounded by courageous people. First Chronicles 11 introduces the mighty men who stood beside him. They fought with extraordinary courage, but their story was about more than loyalty to one man.
They helped establish David as king “according to the word of the Lord concerning Israel.”
Before there was a throne, there was a promise from God. Before the warriors fought, God had already spoken. David and his mighty men participated in something much larger than their own ambition: they were helping fulfill the Word of God.
The Water That Carried the Price of Life
While David was in the stronghold, he expressed a longing for water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem. Three of his mighty men heard him. They broke through the Philistine camp, drew water from the well, and carried it back to David.
What might have sounded like a passing wish became a dangerous mission for the men who loved and honored him.
But David refused to drink the water.
Instead, he poured it out before the Lord.
David understood that this was no longer ordinary water. The men had risked their lives to bring it to him. To drink it casually would have meant treating their sacrifice as something he was entitled to receive.
So David turned their devotion into worship.
He would not consume what had been offered at the price of another person’s life. He honored their courage by giving the water back to God.
This is one of the most beautiful qualities of godly leadership: a faithful leader does not use the devotion of others for personal comfort or glory. A faithful leader sees the cost behind another person’s service, receives it with humility, and remembers that all honor ultimately belongs to God.
A Leader’s Words Carry Weight
This story also reminds me that a leader’s words are powerful.
David may simply have been remembering the familiar water of his hometown. Yet the men around him heard his longing and were willing to risk everything to fulfill it.
Sometimes a casual wish from a leader can sound like a command to a devoted follower. Leadership therefore requires care—not only in what we ask but also in what we casually express.
The more influence we have in someone’s life, the more gently and responsibly we must use our words.
Even a Good Leader Is Still Being Formed
In today’s M’Cheyne reading, 2 Samuel 14 shows another side of David’s leadership. Absalom is allowed to return to Jerusalem, but true reconciliation does not take place. David brings his son physically near while continuing to keep him emotionally distant.
The situation appears to be resolved on the outside, but the relationship remains wounded underneath.
Placed beside 1 Chronicles 11, this chapter reminds me that David was neither entirely strong nor entirely weak. He could deeply honor the sacrifice of his warriors and still struggle to face the pain within his own family.
A person can be mature in one area and wounded in another.
God does not work only through perfect leaders. He works through people who are still being corrected, humbled, healed, and formed in His presence.
The Sorrow That Leads Us Back to God
Second Corinthians 7 speaks about godly sorrow—a sorrow that leads to repentance and life.
There is a difference between feeling bad because something became uncomfortable and allowing God to change the heart that produced the problem. Godly sorrow does not leave us trapped in shame. It helps us face the truth, turn toward God, and begin again.
David’s response to the water carries this kind of holy awareness. He realized, in effect:
I cannot treat this as something ordinary. It carries the cost of another person’s life.
The water became an offering because David recognized its true value.
Perhaps repentance begins in a similar place: when something we once treated lightly becomes weighty before God.
The Kingdom Belongs to God
Ezekiel 21 reminds us that God takes sin seriously. Human strength, political power, and military courage cannot protect a nation that continually turns away from Him.
Psalm 68 then directs our attention to the true source of victory: God rises, God leads, God carries His people, and God gives power and strength.
The mighty men were courageous, but they were not the center of the story.
David was the king, but he was not the center of the story.
God was fulfilling His Word.
The kingdom belonged to Him.
What I Am Carrying into Today
Today I am asking myself:
Have I noticed the sacrifices that other people have made for me?
Have I received someone’s patience, loyalty, prayer, or quiet service as though it were simply expected?
Have I taken credit for fruit that God produced through the love and faithfulness of others?
God has placed people beside me who have encouraged me, waited for me, forgiven me, and carried burdens with me. Their love should never become something I casually consume.
Like David pouring out the water, I want to place their love before God with gratitude.
I want to say:
Lord, I know I did not arrive here by myself. You sent people to stand beside me. Help me honor their sacrifice, thank them sincerely, and return all the glory to You.
One Small Practice
Today, I will think of one person whose patience or sacrifice has helped carry me.
I will not offer a vague “thank you.” I will name what that person did, acknowledge what it may have cost, and tell them why it mattered to me.
Reflection Question
Whose love, patience, or sacrifice have I been receiving too casually—and how can I honor it today?
Prayer
Lord, thank You for being faithful to Your Word.
Thank You for the people You have placed beside me—those who have prayed, waited, served, encouraged, corrected, and remained faithful when I was weak.
Forgive me for the times I treated their love as something ordinary or assumed that I had earned their devotion. Teach me to recognize the cost behind another person’s kindness.
Help me become a leader in my home and in every place You have given me influence—not one who consumes the strength of others, but one who protects, honors, and loves them well.
May every good thing accomplished through my life be returned to You in worship. The promise is Yours, the work is Yours, and the glory is Yours.
In Jesus’ name, amen.
One truth to carry today:
A godly leader does not consume the devotion of others. A godly leader honors their sacrifice and returns the glory to God.
Tata, HappyKay
Editorial Note
A Good Day with God is a quiet pause in the middle of an ordinary day—a place to read Scripture, notice what God is teaching, and carry one small practice into daily life. AI assisted me to refine my English and creating an image under my creative direction.
Comments
Post a Comment