Why Every New Idea Needs a Private Playground.

 BEYOND ENVY · PART 2

HAPPYKAY LIFEGAZING · LIFELONG LEARNER

NO VOTING YET




Why Every New Idea Needs a Private Playground

I have a new rule for myself.

Not everything needs an audience.

Especially in the beginning.

When I get excited about something new, my first instinct is often to talk about it.

I’m thinking about doing this.

I want to learn that.

Maybe I’ll start something.

And the minute I say it out loud, something interesting happens.

Everybody gets a vote.

Someone loves it.

Someone doesn’t understand it.

Someone tells me there are already too many people doing it.

Someone asks how I’m going to make money from it.

And someone simply gives me that little look.

You know the look.

Suddenly, my tiny idea—which was happily bouncing around in my head ten minutes ago—is sitting in a conference room being asked to explain its five-year plan.

Poor thing.

It was only three days old.

Maybe New Ideas Need a Private Playground

I’m beginning to think that some things should be allowed to stay small for a while.

Not secret.

Just private.

A little playground where I can try things without needing them to make sense yet.

I can make something terrible.

Change my mind.

Start over.

Try something completely different.

Spend three hours on an idea and decide I hate it.

Then wake up the next morning and love it again.

No announcement required.

No explanation required.

And definitely—

no voting yet.

Then Comes the Laboratory

Eventually, something from the playground starts getting interesting.

That’s when it moves into the laboratory.

Now I want to see what happens if I take it seriously.

I study.

I experiment.

I make version two.

Then version seven.

Then version twenty-three.

Some things work.

Some absolutely do not.

But that’s the point.

Not everything needs a launch.
Some things need a laboratory.

A laboratory is where an idea gets to become itself before the world tells it what it should be.

And maybe we all need one.

A small corner of life where curiosity gets more authority than approval.

Privacy Isn’t Hiding

There is a difference between hiding because I’m afraid and protecting something because it is still becoming.

A seed isn’t embarrassed that it is underground.

It’s just not finished yet.

Maybe our ideas deserve the same patience.

We don’t have to invite everyone into the earliest stage of everything we’re becoming.

Some dreams need a little privacy.

Some skills need hundreds of awkward attempts.

Some ideas need time before they can survive other people’s opinions.

So perhaps it’s okay to put a tiny imaginary sign on the door:

WORK IN PROGRESS

NO VOTING YET.

And go back inside.

Play.

Learn.

Make a mess.

Try again.

And Then, One Day…

Maybe someone notices.

“Wait.

When did you learn how to do that?”

Or—

“When did you make all of this?”

And instead of explaining every doubt, experiment, abandoned version, strange idea, and late-night rabbit hole that happened along the way…

I think I’d like to smile and say:

“Oh, by the way. I made this.”

That’s it.

No dramatic reveal.

No proving anyone wrong.

Just something that didn’t exist before—

and now it does.

A Thought I’m Keeping

Keep a little room in your life where nobody gets to vote.

Let it be your private playground.

Let it become your laboratory.

Make a mess.
Change your mind.
Try again.

And when you’re ready—

open the door.

Oh, by the way. I made this.

HappyKay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runway Inspiration Mary Katrantzou Resort 2027

If AI Does the Beginner’s Work, How Will Our Children Ever Become Experts?

Can Middle and High School Students Take Real College Classes? What I Learned as a Mom.