When Hurt Feelings Hold My Attention: Learning to Lift My Eyes to God | John 4:35

 FAITH · A Personal Reflection on John 4:35





“Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.”
— John 4:35

There are Scriptures that I read and move on from, and then there are Scriptures that seem to leave an afterimage in my heart.

John 4:35 has been like that for me.

“Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields.”

At first, I thought about the harvest. I thought about obedience, evangelism, and doing the work God has given us.

But as I continued to sit with these words, I began to notice something much smaller and much closer to my own heart.

Maybe before I can look at the field, I need to notice what has been holding my eyes.

What Was I Really Feeling?

Recently, I have been thinking about the subtle ways I respond to other people.

Someone says something.
Someone behaves in a way I do not understand.
I read a message or a few words and feel something underneath them.

Then I become uncomfortable.

And sometimes, without realizing it, I begin interpreting what happened from the center of my own feelings.

Why did that bother me so much?

Why did I keep thinking about it?

As I prayed, I began to see something underneath the disappointment.

Perhaps I wanted to feel included.

I wanted the safety of knowing, I belong here too.

I wanted to feel recognized, respected, and welcomed.

Those desires themselves were not necessarily wrong. But when they were not met in the way I expected, my disappointment became an interpretation.

Maybe they don’t value me.

Maybe I don’t belong.

Maybe that meant something about me.

And then I realized something uncomfortable.

Sometimes I was feeding my own feelings.

The original moment may have been small, but I kept returning to it, interpreting it, and allowing it to occupy more space in my heart.

Feeling Something Is Not the Same as Knowing Something

This has made me think differently about discernment.

I may sense emotion in someone’s words. I may feel uncomfortable after reading something. I may notice someone’s tone or behavior.

But what I feel is not automatically the complete truth about another person’s heart.

God knows what I cannot know.

So perhaps I can learn to pause and ask:

What actually happened?

What did I feel?

What meaning did I add to it?

What do I still not know?

And then the most important question:

Father, what is mine to do before You?

That question changes where I am looking.

Obedience Is Not Always Forcing Myself

For a long time, I think I sometimes imagined obedience as simply pushing my feelings aside.

Don’t be hurt.

Don’t be disappointed.

Don’t judge.

Just forgive.

Just obey.

But I am beginning to see something gentler and deeper.

God can teach me obedience while also teaching me to understand my own heart.

“Why did that hurt?”

“What were you hoping to receive?”

“Why are you still holding this?”

Sometimes the answer may reveal something I did not recognize before.

A desire for approval.

A longing for belonging.

A need to feel safe.

A wish to be understood.

And once I can see it, I can bring the real thing to God instead of simply forcing myself to behave better.

This reminds me of David’s prayer:

“Search me, O God, and know my heart… and lead me in the way everlasting.”
— Psalm 139:23–24

There is something beautiful in that order.

Search me.
Know me.
Show me.
Lead me.

God does not only show me where to go.

He also knows the heart He is leading.

Then, Lift Your Eyes

And this brings me back to John 4:35.

“Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields.”

Perhaps sometimes my eyes have been held too long by another person’s words, behavior, or response.

What did they mean?

Why did they do that?

Why didn’t they recognize me?

Why am I still hurt?

And perhaps Jesus is gently redirecting my attention.

Lift your eyes.

There is a field beyond this moment.

There are people to love.

There is work to do.

There are things God has entrusted to me.

There is a life He has asked me to live.

I do not have to deny my feelings to look at that field.

I can recognize them, bring them honestly before God, and then refuse to let them become the place where my eyes remain.

Maybe this is one small way I am learning obedience.

Not:

“I shouldn’t feel this.”

But:

“Father, now I understand a little more about why I feel this. I give it to You. Where would You have me look now?”

My Prayer

Father,

You know my heart better than I know it myself.

When I am hurt, help me recognize what is happening inside me. Show me when I am longing for approval, belonging, safety, or recognition—and when those longings begin to shape the way I interpret other people.

Do not let my feelings become my judge of what is true.

Search me. Know me. Correct me gently through Your Word.

And when I have spent too long looking at what someone said, what someone did, or what I wish they had given me, lift my eyes.

Show me the field You have given me.

Help me do the work that is mine to do, love the people You have placed before me, and experience the joy of participating in Your work.

Teach me an obedience that does not come merely from forcing myself, but from knowing You more deeply and allowing You to transform my heart.

Help me understand what I am feeling.
Then lift my eyes beyond myself
and show me the field You have given me.

In Jesus’ name,
Amen.


Editorial Note

This is a personal reflection from my own quiet time with Scripture and my ongoing journey of learning to understand my heart before God. AI is one of the creative tools I use to help organize my thoughts, refine my English, and create some of the illustrations that accompany my writing. I encourage you to return to Scripture itself, read the surrounding passages, pray, and reflect on what God may be teaching you personally.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runway Inspiration Mary Katrantzou Resort 2027

If AI Does the Beginner’s Work, How Will Our Children Ever Become Experts?

Can Middle and High School Students Take Real College Classes? What I Learned as a Mom.