WHAT FLOWS FROM MY HEART?

HappyKay Good Morning with God 

August 16, 2026

A Quiet Morning Thought on Energy, Relationships, and the Fruit We Carry



This morning, during my quiet time with God, I found myself thinking about something we casually call “energy.”

As I grow older, I think I notice it more.

There are people whose presence makes me relax.

They may not say anything extraordinary, but I somehow feel welcomed. Their eyes are warm. Their responses are generous. I don’t feel as though I have to prove myself or carefully measure every word.

And then there are relationships where I feel something different.

A little distance.
A little tension.
Something I cannot quite explain.

Sometimes that realization hurts.

Because I wish friendship could always be transparent.

I wish affection were simply affection, kindness simply kindness, and friendship a place where we never had to wonder what was hiding beneath the surface.

But human relationships aren’t always that simple.

And perhaps one of the harder parts of growing older is realizing that we become better at noticing these things.


What Is Coming Out of Me?

There are many books today about protecting your energy, recognizing other people’s energy, and becoming someone who carries positive energy.

I understand why these ideas resonate.

But this morning I began wondering:

What would this idea look like through the Bible?

And I came back to these words:

“Above all else, guard your heart,
for everything you do flows from it.”

— Proverbs 4:23

Everything flows from somewhere.

My words.

My facial expressions.

The way I listen.

The way I respond when someone else succeeds.

The warmth—or coldness—in my presence.

What we sometimes call “energy” may often be something much more ordinary and much more revealing:

what has been living in our hearts long enough to begin showing on the outside.

Jesus said something similar:

“For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.”
— Luke 6:45

Eventually, what fills us finds a way out.

And suddenly my question changed.

Instead of asking,

“What kind of energy is that person giving me?”

I found myself asking,

“What is coming out of me?”


Maybe “Good Energy” Has Another Name

The Bible gives us such a beautiful description:

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

The fruit of the Spirit.

Maybe this is the kind of “energy” I actually want.

Not a mysterious force.

Not something I send into the universe so that good things will return to me.

But a life so quietly shaped by God that people can feel its fruit.

I want someone to sit beside me and feel that they don’t have to compete.

I want my words to make people feel safe rather than small.

I want to celebrate another person’s happiness without making it about myself.

I want to walk into a room carrying peace rather than tension.

I want someone to leave a conversation with me feeling just a little lighter.

Perhaps that is one way the fruit of the Spirit becomes visible.


But What About the Energy We Feel From Others?

This is the harder part for me.

Because sometimes we really do sense that something has changed.

Someone seems colder.

A friendship feels different.

A response that once felt warm now feels distant.

And because we are human, our minds immediately begin writing the rest of the story.

She doesn’t like me anymore.

Maybe she’s jealous.

He must be angry with me.

Something is going on.

But today I thought about a different practice:

I can notice without judging.

I can say,

“That interaction felt cold to me today.”

That is my experience.

But saying,

“She dislikes me,”

is a conclusion about another person’s heart.

And I don’t actually know everything happening inside another person’s heart.

There is freedom in leaving that part with God.

I don’t have to pretend I felt nothing.

But I also don’t have to investigate every facial expression, every silence, every shift in tone until I have constructed an entire story.

I can notice without judging.

That sentence gives my heart somewhere peaceful to stand.


I Don’t Need to Match Someone Else’s Energy

Perhaps this is the lesson I needed most.

If someone gives me coldness, I don’t have to become cold.

If someone seems competitive, I don’t have to compete.

If someone withholds warmth, I don’t have to beg for it.

And I don’t have to carry their behavior home and turn it into a verdict about my own worth.

Their heart belongs to them.

My heart is the place God has entrusted to me.

So perhaps the better question isn’t:

“What are they giving me?”

but:

“Lord, what do I want to carry into this room?”

Peace.

Kindness.

Gentleness.

Truth.

And sometimes, healthy distance.

Because being loving does not mean ignoring what repeatedly hurts us. Wisdom and kindness can live together.


A Small Prayer for Today

Lord,

make me someone whose presence brings peace.

When I become too busy reading other people’s expressions,
bring me back to my own heart.

When I sense coldness,
help me notice it without rushing to judge.

When someone does not give me the warmth I hoped for,
keep me from chasing after what cannot be forced.

Guard my heart—not so that I become closed,
but so that what flows from it becomes beautiful.

Let love come out.

Let kindness come out.

Let gentleness come out.

Let peace come out.

And when someone spends a little time with me,
may they leave feeling lighter rather than heavier.

I cannot control what another person carries into the room.

But with Your help,
I can choose what I carry into it.

Amen.


A Thought to Carry With Me

I don’t want to spend my life becoming better at reading everyone’s energy.

I want to become someone whose life quietly gives off the fruit of the Spirit.

I can notice.

I can discern.

I can create distance when wisdom asks me to.

But I do not have to judge another person’s heart.

I want to leave peace behind wherever I go.

Reflection Question

When people leave a conversation with me, what do I hope they carry with them?

HappyKay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runway Inspiration Mary Katrantzou Resort 2027

If AI Does the Beginner’s Work, How Will Our Children Ever Become Experts?

Can Middle and High School Students Take Real College Classes? What I Learned as a Mom.