“Turn My Heart”

 GOOD MORNING WITH GOD | Psalm 119, Eight Verses at a Time #5



HE ה | Psalm 119:33–40

Sometimes I know what is good for me and still want something else.

I know I should be patient, but I want an immediate answer.

I know comparison steals my peace, but I still look.

I know worry cannot control tomorrow, but my mind returns to it anyway.

I know God’s way is good.

Yet knowing and wanting are not always the same thing.

That is what caught my attention in the fifth stanza of Psalm 119.

The psalmist doesn’t simply ask God:

“Tell me what to do.”

He asks God to work much deeper than that.

“Turn My Heart”

“Turn my heart toward your statutes
and not toward selfish gain.”
— Psalm 119:36

I love the honesty of this prayer.

The psalmist seems to understand something about himself:

My heart can lean in the wrong direction.

So instead of pretending otherwise, he asks God to turn it.

That word—turn—stayed with me.

Because sometimes I approach spiritual growth as if everything depends upon my determination.

I need to try harder.

I need to have more discipline.

I need to stop thinking this way.

I need to become better.

Discipline certainly matters.

Choices matter.

Obedience matters.

But Psalm 119:36 reminds me that there is also a prayer I can make before all of that:

Lord, turn my heart.

Change what attracts me.

Change what I treasure.

Change what I keep reaching for.

Help me want what leads me toward You.

And Then: “Turn My Eyes”

The next verse moves from the heart to the eyes:

“Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
preserve my life according to your word.”
— Psalm 119:37

First:

Turn my heart.

Then:

Turn my eyes.

That connection feels very real.

Because what I repeatedly look at can eventually influence what my heart begins to desire.

And today there is always something asking for my eyes.

Another image.

Another opinion.

Another person’s life.

Another thing to buy.

Another piece of news.

Another reason to compare.

Not everything I see is necessarily wrong.

But not everything deserves my attention either.

Perhaps one part of wisdom is learning that my attention is valuable.

What I continually give my eyes to can quietly shape my inner life.

So this prayer feels surprisingly current:

Lord, turn my eyes away from what is worthless.

Not because I need to hide from the world.

But because I don’t want everything in the world to have equal access to my heart.

Teach Me, Give Me Understanding, Direct Me

When I looked again at verses 33–35, I noticed how dependent the psalmist sounds.

“Teach me…”

“Give me understanding…”

“Direct me…”

He wants to obey God’s Word, but he isn’t approaching God as someone who can transform himself completely through willpower.

He needs God to teach him.

God to give understanding.

God to direct him.

God to turn his heart.

God to turn his eyes.

This is not passive faith.

The psalmist is clearly choosing, seeking, and responding.

But underneath his effort is dependence.

And maybe I need that reminder.

Christian growth is not simply:

“God showed me the right way, so now I will fix myself.”

Sometimes it sounds more like:

“God, I know the direction I want to go, but I need You to keep shaping the person who is walking there.”

What Has My Attention Lately?

Verse 37 made me ask a very ordinary question:

What has been getting most of my attention lately?

Not what I say is important.

What actually receives my eyes, my thoughts, my time.

Sometimes that answer can reveal what is quietly happening in my heart.

And I don’t think the purpose of asking is to make myself feel guilty.

It is simply to notice.

Because once I notice where my eyes keep going, I can bring that honestly before God.

Lord, this keeps pulling my attention.

Is it helping me become who You are calling me to be?

And if not:

Turn my eyes.

Maybe Transformation Begins with Desire

The final verse says:

“How I long for your precepts!
In your righteousness preserve my life.”
— Psalm 119:40

This stanza began with the psalmist asking God to teach him.

It ends with longing.

That may be what I find most beautiful here.

Perhaps spiritual growth is not only learning to do the right things.

Over time, perhaps God also changes what I long for.

Duty can say:

I should read Scripture.

But desire begins to say:

I want to know God.

Duty says:

I shouldn’t look there.

Desire begins to say:

I don’t want that to occupy my heart anymore.

Duty says:

I have to obey.

Love begins to say:

I want my life to please You.

That kind of change cannot simply be forced.

So today my prayer is not only:

Lord, change my behavior.

It is:

Lord, shape my desires.

A Question to Carry With Me

What has been receiving my attention lately—and what might it be teaching my heart to desire?

One Small Practice

Notice where your eyes naturally go today.

Your phone.

Your thoughts.

Other people’s lives.

Your worries.

Your plans.

Don’t judge yourself immediately.

Just notice.

Then quietly pray:

“Lord, turn my heart toward You, and turn my eyes toward what gives life.”

A Small Prayer

Lord,

teach me Your ways and give me understanding.

Direct my steps when I don’t know where to go.

Turn my heart when it begins to desire things that pull me away from You.

Turn my eyes when I give too much attention to things that cannot give me life.

I don’t want only to behave differently.

I want You to keep shaping what I love, what I seek, and what I desire.

Give me a heart that increasingly longs for what is good and true in Your sight.

Amen.


Next — WAW ו | Psalm 119:41–48
What happens when God’s Word gives us enough confidence to speak—even when we feel small?

Editorial Note
This post reflects my personal Bible study and faith journey as I slowly read and reflect on Scripture. I use AI as a creative tool to help organize my thoughts, refine my English, and assist with some illustrations. It is not a substitute for Scripture or pastoral or theological guidance. I encourage readers to open the Bible, read the passage in its full context, and spend time reflecting on God’s Word for themselves.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runway Inspiration Mary Katrantzou Resort 2027

If AI Does the Beginner’s Work, How Will Our Children Ever Become Experts?

Can Middle and High School Students Take Real College Classes? What I Learned as a Mom.