Maybe Luck Begins When We Become Curious About People.
Maybe Luck Begins When We Become Curious About People
HappyKay Lifegazing · Lifelong Learning
Today I came across a story with a very simple idea:
If you want more opportunities in life, meet more people outside your usual circle.
At first, it sounded like familiar networking advice.
Go to events.
Attend gatherings.
Talk to strangers.
Expand your network.
But the more I thought about it, the more interesting the idea became.
Maybe the important part isn’t simply meeting more people.
Maybe it is learning how to meet people.
More Encounters, More Possibilities
The story introduced the idea that unexpected opportunities often come through what researchers sometimes call weak ties—people outside our closest circle.
Our close friends often know many of the same people we know and move through similar worlds.
But someone we meet at a book club, class, conference, church gathering, neighborhood event, or even over coffee may belong to an entirely different circle.
One small conversation can connect us to another person, another idea, another book, another opportunity, or simply another way of seeing life.
That makes sense to me.
But I also realized something.
Showing up isn’t enough.
I Need to Bring the Right Heart With Me
If I walk into a room thinking,
Who here can help me?
Who is important?
What can I get from this?
then perhaps I’ve already missed the point.
I would rather walk in with curiosity.
Who is this person?
What has shaped their life?
What can I learn by listening?
Not interviewing them.
Not trying to impress them.
Just listening without deciding too quickly who they are.
That requires something surprisingly difficult:
putting aside my assumptions.
Someone may look completely different from me.
Their personality may not immediately appeal to me.
Their life may seem ordinary.
And yet they may know something I don’t know, have experienced something I haven’t experienced, or simply see the world from an angle I’ve never considered.
Curiosity makes room for that.
And I Shouldn’t Expect Everyone to Be Nice
There is another part I want to remember.
If I’m going to step outside my familiar circle, I can’t expect every encounter to feel wonderful.
Someone may be distracted.
Someone may barely respond.
Someone may seem uninterested in me.
A conversation may be awkward.
And occasionally, someone simply may not be very kind.
That’s okay.
I don’t want one uncomfortable interaction to send me running back into my familiar little world.
I can be open without being overly vulnerable.
Friendly without demanding friendliness in return.
Curious without needing approval.
Perhaps that is part of becoming more resilient socially.
The Book Club I Said No To
This part made me smile.
I recently had an opportunity to join a book club.
I said no.
At the time, I wasn’t particularly interested in adding another gathering to my life.
But after reading this story today, I found myself thinking:
Maybe I could go once.
Not because I expect to meet someone important.
Not because I’m trying to “network.”
And certainly not because I believe attending a book club will magically change my life.
Simply because there may be value in walking into a room I wouldn’t normally enter.
Listening.
Meeting someone new.
Hearing what other people are reading and thinking about.
And letting life surprise me a little.
Maybe This Is What Staying Open Looks Like
As AI becomes increasingly capable, we talk a lot about learning new technology and developing new skills.
Those things matter.
But perhaps one deeply human skill will become even more valuable:
our ability to be genuinely interested in another person.
To listen.
To ask thoughtful questions.
To remain curious.
To tolerate a little awkwardness.
To leave our familiar circles occasionally.
And to keep showing up without needing every encounter to produce something.
Maybe “creating luck” isn’t really about chasing luck at all.
Maybe it is simply about creating more places where life has a chance to meet us.
So perhaps I’ll reconsider that book club.
I’ll go once.
I’ll bring my curiosity.
I’ll leave my expectations at home.
And I’ll see who is sitting at the table.
Reflection
Is there a room, gathering, class, book club, or community I’ve been avoiding simply because it feels unfamiliar?
Maybe I don’t need to commit to it.
Maybe I just need to show up once.
One Small Practice
This week, enter one slightly unfamiliar space with three intentions:
Be curious.
Listen before judging.
Expect nothing in return.
Sometimes expanding a life begins with something as ordinary as taking a different seat at the table.
— HappyKay
Comments
Post a Comment