GOOD MORNING WITH GOD
Lessons from Jesus — Episode 2
THE SERVANT LEADER
Learning Leadership at the Feet of Jesus
Scripture: John 13:1–17
This morning, I found myself thinking again about leadership.
When I hear the word “leader,” I naturally imagine someone standing in front—someone making decisions, giving direction, or carrying responsibility.
But in John 13, Jesus gives us a very different picture.
He gets up from the table.
He takes off His outer clothing, wraps a towel around His waist, pours water into a basin, and begins washing His disciples’ feet.
I have read this story many times, but today I tried to slow down and simply look at what Jesus actually did.
Jesus was their Lord and Teacher.
And yet He knelt down.
“Now that I, your Lord and Teacher,
have washed your feet,
you also should wash one another’s feet.”
— John 13:14
That changes the way I think about leadership.
Jesus did not merely give His disciples a lesson about humility from a distance.
He gave them an example they could see.
He served them.
Then He said,
“I have set you an example
that you should do as I have done for you.”
— John 13:15
Perhaps following the leadership of Jesus begins much closer to the ground than I sometimes imagine.
It may look like noticing what needs to be done before someone asks.
Listening when it would be easier to speak.
Helping without needing recognition.
Making room for another person.
Choosing to serve even when I am capable of taking the more important seat.
These things may look small.
But when I look at Jesus kneeling before His disciples, small acts of service no longer seem small.
WHAT I AM LEARNING
Leadership in the way of Jesus is not simply about having influence.
It also asks what we are willing to do with whatever influence, responsibility, ability, or position we have been given.
Do I use it mainly to be heard?
Or can I use it to help someone else?
That is a much more personal question.
And perhaps that is why this passage stays with me.
TODAY’S REFLECTION
I do not need to become a “great leader” today.
I can begin much more simply.
I can look around my own life and ask:
Who can I serve today?
Where can I choose humility?
What small task can I do with love, even if no one notices?
Jesus said,
“For even the Son of Man did not come
to be served, but to serve,
and to give His life as a ransom for many.”
— Mark 10:45
I may never lead as Jesus led.
But I can keep looking at how He lived.
I can listen to what He taught.
And by God’s grace, I can practice one small part of His example today.
A SMALL PRAYER
Lord Jesus,
Thank You for showing us a way of leadership
that looks so different from the world’s.
Teach me not to seek importance,
but to become more willing to serve.
Help me notice the people in front of me,
the needs I might normally overlook,
and the small opportunities to love.
Keep me close to Your Word
so that I do not create my own picture of who You are,
but continue learning from what You have shown us.
Teach me to follow Your example,
one small act of faithfulness at a time.
Amen.
LESSONS FROM JESUS
We do not have to speak for Jesus.
We can look at His words,
observe His actions,
and keep learning how to follow Him.
— HappyKay
HappyKay Lifegazing
Good Morning with God
Lessons from Jesus • Episode 2
Comments
Post a Comment