God’s unfailing love, salvation, and promise.

 GOOD MORNING WITH GOD | Psalm 119, Eight Verses at a Time #6


WAW ו | Psalm 119:41–48

There are moments when I know what I believe, but I still find it difficult to stand confidently in it.

Other people’s words can make me question myself.

A strong opinion can make me quiet.

Criticism can stay in my mind much longer than I want it to.

And sometimes I wonder whether being confident in faith means I need to become a louder, stronger person.

Then I came to Psalm 119:41–48.

And I noticed something different.

The psalmist’s confidence does not seem to begin with himself.

It begins with what he has received from God.

“May Your Unfailing Love Come to Me”

The stanza begins:

“May your unfailing love come to me, LORD,
your salvation, according to your promise.”
— Psalm 119:41

Before the psalmist talks about what he will say or do, he talks about God’s unfailing love, salvation, and promise.

That order matters to me.

God acts first.

Then the psalmist responds.

Perhaps spiritual confidence does not begin by telling myself:

Be stronger.

Maybe it begins by remembering:

God has been faithful.

God has spoken.

God’s love does not depend upon my ability to impress anyone.

That is a very different kind of confidence.

“Then I Can Answer”

The next verse says:

“Then I can answer anyone who taunts me,
for I trust in your word.”
— Psalm 119:42

The word then caught my attention.

First, God’s unfailing love.

Then, an answer.

The psalmist isn’t saying:

I can answer because I am clever.

Or:

I can answer because I always know exactly what to say.

His reason is much simpler:

“For I trust in your word.”

That made me think about how often I feel I need to defend myself.

Explain myself.

Convince someone.

Have the perfect response.

But perhaps confidence rooted in God does not always need to win an argument.

Sometimes it simply needs to know where it stands.

There is a quiet strength in being able to say:

I know what I am trusting.

Freedom in an Unexpected Place

Then verse 45 surprised me:

“I will walk about in freedom,
for I have sought out your precepts.”

Freedom?

In a psalm that talks so much about laws, commands, statutes, and obedience?

At first, those ideas can sound like opposites.

We often think freedom means:

I can do whatever I want.

But the psalmist seems to understand freedom differently.

Knowing God’s ways gives him a place to stand.

He does not have to be pulled in every direction by every opinion, desire, or pressure around him.

There is freedom in knowing what guides me.

There is freedom in knowing what I do not have to chase.

There is freedom in knowing whose voice has the final authority in my life.

Maybe boundaries given by someone who loves us are not always the enemy of freedom.

Sometimes they are what allow us to walk freely.

Even Before Kings

Then the picture becomes even stronger:

“I will speak of your statutes before kings
and will not be put to shame.”
— Psalm 119:46

I love this image.

The psalmist stands before people with power and influence, yet he is not ashamed of God’s Word.

But I don’t read this as an invitation to become aggressive or argumentative about faith.

To me, it looks more like steadiness.

He knows what he believes.

He knows whom he trusts.

And because of that, the room does not have to decide who he becomes.

That thought feels very practical.

Maybe courage is not always speaking loudly.

Sometimes courage is remaining faithful when it would be easier to adjust myself simply to receive approval.

Sometimes courage is speaking gently without hiding what I believe.

And sometimes courage is knowing that I do not have to answer every voice at all.

Love Changes the Way Obedience Feels

The final verses bring us somewhere tender:

“For I delight in your commands
because I love them.

I reach out for your commands, which I love,
that I may meditate on your decrees.”
— Psalm 119:47–48

Twice, the psalmist says:

I love them.

This isn’t cold rule-following.

Something has happened in his relationship with God’s Word.

He trusts it.

He seeks it.

He walks in it.

He speaks about it.

And he loves it.

Perhaps that is why he can stand with courage.

His confidence is not built on winning.

It is built on love and trust.

The Kind of Courage I Want

I don’t think I want the kind of confidence that needs to prove itself all the time.

I want something quieter.

A confidence that remembers God’s love before reacting to another person’s words.

A confidence that does not collapse because someone disagrees with me.

A confidence that can speak when speaking is necessary—and remain quiet when it isn’t.

A confidence that comes from knowing:

I don’t have to manufacture my own foundation.

God has already given me somewhere to stand.

A Question to Carry With Me

When I feel challenged, criticized, or unsure of myself, where does my confidence come from?

One Small Practice

The next time someone else’s words make you feel unsettled, pause before answering.

Instead of immediately asking:

“What should I say?”

first ask:

“What do I know to be true before God?”

Perhaps the answer does not need to begin with another person.

Perhaps it begins by returning to the foundation beneath your own feet.

A Small Prayer

Lord,

let Your unfailing love come to me according to Your promise.

When other voices make me uncertain, help me remember where my confidence belongs.

Give me courage to speak when I should speak, humility to listen when I should listen, and wisdom to know the difference.

Teach me the freedom of walking in Your ways.

And let my obedience grow not from fear, but from deeper love and trust in You.

Amen.


Next — ZAYIN ז | Psalm 119:49–56
What do I hold onto when I am waiting and nothing seems to be changing?

Editorial Note
This post reflects my personal Bible study and faith journey as I slowly read and reflect on Scripture. I use AI as a creative tool to help organize my thoughts, refine my English, and assist with some illustrations. It is not a substitute for Scripture or pastoral or theological guidance. I encourage readers to open the Bible, read the passage in its full context, and spend time reflecting on God’s Word for themselves.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runway Inspiration Mary Katrantzou Resort 2027

If AI Does the Beginner’s Work, How Will Our Children Ever Become Experts?

Can Middle and High School Students Take Real College Classes? What I Learned as a Mom.