Does “Common” Mean Sinful? What Ezekiel 42 Taught Me About Holiness.
Good Morning with God
Ezekiel 42:1–20
This morning, one phrase at the end of Ezekiel 42 made me stop.
“…to separate the holy from the common.”
— Ezekiel 42:20
The holy from the common.
When I first read the Korean word translated as common or profane—속된 것(soak deun gut)—I wondered:
Does this mean worldly?
Does God divide life into holy things and bad, worldly things?
But when I looked a little closer, I realized there is an important difference.
The Hebrew word is חֹל — ḥol (roughly pronounced “hol,” with a slightly throaty h sound).
Here, common does not necessarily mean sinful or evil.
It can mean something ordinary, common, or not specifically set apart as holy.
That changed the way I read this passage.
Holy Does Not Simply Mean “Good,” and Common Does Not Mean “Bad”
Sometimes I unconsciously think of the distinction like this:
Holy = good
Common = bad or worldly
But that is too simple.
In this context, the distinction is closer to:
Holy = set apart for God
Common = ordinary, not specifically consecrated
Ordinary life itself is not evil.
Cooking dinner is ordinary.
Doing laundry is ordinary.
Working, shopping, cleaning the house, driving somewhere, sitting down for coffee—these are ordinary parts of human life.
And ordinary does not mean worthless.
But in Ezekiel’s temple vision, God establishes boundaries.
There are spaces specifically set apart for Him.
At the end of chapter 42, Ezekiel sees a wall surrounding the temple area, and its purpose is significant:
to distinguish the holy from the common.
Suddenly, the wall felt like more than architecture to me.
It was teaching something about God.
Come Near—But Remember Who God Is
Yesterday, Ezekiel 41:22 gave me such a tender image:
“the table that is before the LORD.”
I thought about sitting before God.
Opening my Bible.
Talking with Him.
Listening.
Being near Him.
It was such a beautiful picture of intimacy.
And then today, Ezekiel 42 seems to add another truth.
The God who invites us near is also holy.
I love how these two truths sit beside each other.
God is not so distant that we cannot approach Him.
But neither is He so casual that His holiness becomes ordinary to us.
He is near,
yet holy.
Loving,
yet majestic.
He welcomes us,
yet He remains God.
Perhaps this is one reason Scripture continually teaches God’s people to recognize what belongs to Him.
Later, in Ezekiel 44:23, the priests are told to teach the people the difference between the holy and the common.
God wanted His people to learn discernment.
Not because everything outside the sacred space was automatically evil, but because what had been set apart for God was to be treated as belonging to God.
What Does That Mean for My Ordinary Life?
This made me think about my own quiet time.
My Bible is sitting in the same house where I cook, clean, answer messages, make plans, work, and take care of everyday things.
There is nothing wrong with those things.
They are part of the life God has given me.
But perhaps holiness asks me a different question:
Is there anything in my life that I intentionally set apart for God?
A little time.
My attention.
My worship.
My heart.
Yesterday morning passed before I could have the quiet time I had planned. It wasn’t until evening that I finally sat down with my Bible.
And God met me there.
That reminded me that intimacy with God is not about maintaining a perfect schedule.
But today’s passage adds something beautiful to yesterday’s lesson.
Whenever I come—morning or evening—I want to remember who I am coming to meet.
Not merely an inspirational thought.
Not merely another item on my daily routine.
But the holy God.
The God who loves me enough to invite me near.
So perhaps these two days of Ezekiel can be held together in one simple picture:
There is a table before the Lord.
Come near.
Sit down.
Talk with Him.
Stay awhile.
But never forget how precious that table is—
because the One waiting there is holy.
My Prayer This Morning
Father,
Thank You for inviting me close to You.
And thank You for reminding me that closeness does not make Your holiness smaller.
Teach me to recognize what is holy and what is simply ordinary without despising the ordinary life You have given me.
Help me bring even my ordinary days under Your loving presence.
And let there always be something in my life that I joyfully set apart for You—
my attention,
my worship,
my time,
and my heart.
Yesterday You reminded me to come to the table.
Today You remind me who sits with me there.
You are loving and near.
And You are holy.
May I never lose the wonder of either.
Amen.
A Question I’m Taking With Me Today
In the middle of my very ordinary life, what am I intentionally setting apart for God?
— HappyKay
A Gentle Editorial Note
This is my personal quiet-time reflection—simply what I noticed, wondered about, and carried with me while reading Scripture.
I use AI as a creative companion to help me organize my thoughts, refine my English, and create some of the illustrations you see here. The reflections and faith journey shared on this blog remain personal, and I always encourage readers to return to Scripture itself and reflect prayerfully for themselves.
Thank you for sharing this little space of learning and faith with me.
— HappyKay
Comments
Post a Comment