ALEPH א | Psalm 119:1–8
GOOD MORNING WITH GOD | Psalm 119 Series #1
ALEPH א | Psalm 119:1–8
Psalm 119 is long—176 verses long.
Maybe that is one reason many of us have read a few favorite verses from it without ever slowing down to see how beautifully the whole psalm was constructed.
I recently learned something during my Bible study that made me want to read Psalm 119 differently.
Psalm 119 is an alphabetic acrostic poem.
The Hebrew alphabet has 22 letters, and the psalm is divided into 22 sections. Each section contains eight verses. In the original Hebrew, every verse in the first section begins with the first Hebrew letter, Aleph (א). Every verse in the second section begins with Beth (ב), and the pattern continues through all 22 letters.
22 letters × 8 verses = 176 verses.
Suddenly, this very long psalm didn’t feel like one enormous chapter I needed to finish.
It felt more like an invitation:
What if I simply walked through it eight verses at a time?
So that is what I am beginning here.
Not rushing through Psalm 119, but sitting with one stanza at a time and asking what it teaches me about God, His Word, and the way I live.
ALEPH א — Psalm 119:1–8
The first stanza begins with a word we might easily pass over:
Blessed.
“Blessed are those whose ways are blameless,
who walk according to the law of the LORD.”
— Psalm 119:1
What caught my attention was the word walk.
The psalm does not begin by praising the person who simply knows God’s Word.
It describes the person who walks according to it.
That difference stayed with me.
I can read Scripture.
I can underline it.
I can study it.
I can even remember beautiful verses.
But God’s Word is meant to enter the way I actually walk through my day.
How I speak.
How I respond when someone hurts me.
How I make decisions.
What I do when I am afraid.
What I choose when nobody is watching.
How I treat people.
How I return to God when my heart wanders.
Perhaps walking with God’s Word happens in these very ordinary places.
Then I noticed a beautiful change
By verse 5, the psalmist says:
“Oh, that my ways were steadfast
in obeying your decrees!”
— Psalm 119:5
That sounds different from someone proudly saying,
“I know how to obey God.”
It sounds more like a longing.
God, I want my life to be steady in Your ways.
And I understand that prayer.
There can be a distance between the life I want to live before God and the life I actually live.
I may know what Scripture says and still react too quickly.
I may want to trust God and still worry.
I may want to love generously and still protect myself.
I may want to obey and still struggle.
The first eight verses of Psalm 119 remind me that loving God’s Word does not begin with pretending I have mastered it.
It can begin with desire:
Lord, teach me to walk in Your ways.
My reflection today
Maybe the question for me is not simply:
“Did I read my Bible today?”
Maybe another question belongs beside it:
“What did I read today that I can actually walk in?”
One verse.
One truth.
One change in my response.
One small act of obedience.
Eight verses at a time, perhaps Psalm 119 can teach me not only how to read God’s Word, but how to slowly build a life around it.
A Question to Carry With Me
Am I only reading God’s Word, or is His Word beginning to shape the way I walk?
A Small Prayer
Lord,
thank You for giving me Your Word.
Help me not to rush through it simply to finish reading. Give me a heart that seeks You through Your Word and a life that slowly learns to walk in Your ways.
When I struggle to live what I know, teach me rather than letting me give up.
Let Your Word move from the page, into my heart, and eventually into the way I live.
Amen.
Next: BETH ב | Psalm 119:9–16
What does it mean to hide God’s Word in my heart?
Editorial Note
This post reflects my personal Bible study and faith journey as I slowly read and reflect on Scripture. I use AI as a creative tool to help organize my thoughts, refine my English, and assist with some illustrations. It is not a substitute for Scripture or pastoral and theological guidance. I encourage you to open the Bible for yourself, read the passage in context, and spend time reflecting on God’s Word personally.
Comments
Post a Comment